Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Thread Like Summary
Bri250, hawkike
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Bri250
Bri250
Hey all, new to the forums.

I am looking at a listing for a Texaco license plate topper, allegedly from a service station in Nebraska. Admittedly, I know little about determining the real deal from a fake. An internet search yielded nothing similar to this, which would lead me to believe that is not real, but again, I know little.

So I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Gasman84470
Gasman84470
Yeah Frank I have owned a few Maytags in my life and have even had the privilege of visiting Newton a few times. However the company on the topper hasn't been around for a while and they do promotional work. The license plate is one of their items.
2 members like this
by richlube
richlube
fake
1 member likes this
by RMikita
RMikita
An indication of authenticity can be determined by the seller's endless supply. Just check out their sold listings. I would have to agree with RICHLUBE.
1 member likes this
by Ohio Oil
Ohio Oil
The quantity of toppers that the seller has is immaterial. License plate toppers is an item that a station owner/dealer literally would have dozens of...it's not like a sign hanging on his station.

I once came across 50+ nos Marathon license plate toppers in one box from a long closed Marathon station.

Imo ... authenticity should be more about font, proper logo for the period, size, similar proven counterfeits, and other such criteria instead of how many someone happens to have.

Jm2c
1 member likes this
by Speedracer
Speedracer
I have no clue on authenticity, but I agree 100%with Ohio Oil. Just because a guy has quantity, does not mean fake or repop. Especially on a promotional give away item that a station may have ordered hundreds at a time, then one of us finds a box of them in modern times. I’ve been there and done that.
1 member likes this

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved