Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: MORE RUST Texaco Shepherds Pole - Tue Oct 27 2015 01:07 PM
Can anyone tell me what size (diameter)pipe/tube was used in making this pole. I am thinking of making one to put on top of my 12 foot pole. The currant pole has a pipe flange on top. It is actually part of a Sinclair pole. Thinking of using a hydraulic pipe bender to fab it. I have a 42 inch Texaco sign with the ring and hangers for a Shepherds style pole.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Texaco Shepherds Pole - Tue Oct 27 2015 01:56 PM

I think it's 2" rigid conduit ?
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Texaco Shepherds Pole - Tue Oct 27 2015 04:12 PM
Thanks, do you have one?
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Texaco Shepherds Pole - Thu Oct 29 2015 12:27 PM
I don't think they were made out of conduit. More like iron pipe. Seen one on American pickers re-run last night. looks bigger (thicker) than the pictures I gathered of the net. Does anyone have one the describe what size they were constructed out of? Maybe there are different versions of this pole.
Posted By: st.rod Re: Texaco Shepherds Pole - Thu Oct 29 2015 02:09 PM
2 inch rigid conduit is the same as 2 inch black or galvanized pipe. It is schedule 40. The only thing that makes rigid conduit different would be the threads if there are any. I.E. straight thread vs. taper pipe thread.

Larry
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Texaco Shepherds Pole - Thu Oct 29 2015 06:14 PM
I would use the black no threads. I was aware of the same dimensions. I think your right the conduit uses straight threads. I do not think the originals were ever made from galvanized though. Even though it would look good and last longer. I never bent a large pipe into the shape needed. Does anyone have any experience doing that? Also, were the originals black in color? All the ones I see are rusted.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk