Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bjwels oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 02:22 AM
I'm getting ready to decorate my dream garage but I need ideas for displaying my oil cans. I'd like to have a wall of cans. I searched the net for the perfect shelf but I can't find it. I saw on a tv show once an invisible snap in type shelf for beer cans... wondering if anyone knows if this exists for oil cans? Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Posted By: djhubba Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 04:28 AM
bjwels..welcome to the BEST site in cyberspace. Although the invisible shelves sound cool..I have never seen them. I would just use cheap wood shelves because by the time you fill it with cool cans...the cans will leave viewers in awe. I have never heard from people..wow..you like cans huh but whats with the ugly wood shelves. If you have enough cans to fill a whole wall..people wont notice the shelves. Just my 2 cents. Anyone else have an opinion? Again ...welcome aboard.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:03 AM
bjwels...HELLO AND WELCOME TO OLD GAS. JUST THOUGHT I'D THROW MY 2 CENTS IN HERE AS WELL....I GUESS THE TYPE OF DISPLAY. SINCE YOU DID SAY GARAGE, YOU DIDN'T MENTION NEW OR OLD CONSTRUCTION. IF NEW...THE DISPLAY POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS....YOU ARE IN CONTROL. IF OLD LIKE I'M WORKING WITH, IT MAKES FOR A CHALLENGE BUT LOOKS RUSTIC. I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR OR CREATING A PLACE FOR CANS LARGE AND SMALL. I USE 1x WOOD IN MOST OF MY OWN APPLICATIONS. I GROUP SOME OF MY CANS BY SIZE. OTHERS I JUST STACK AND PILE UP
IN A NEAT BUT MONTAGE-LIKE MANNER...NOT GROUPING ANY BRAND OR SIZE IN THE DISPLAY (SEE PIC 1). I USED EXISTING SHELVING IN THE HEAD OR NOSE OF MY GARAGE, AND USED OLD PAINT CAN SHELVES MY GRANDAD MADE YEARS AGO FOR OTHER QUARTSIZE AND SIMILAR CANS (SEE PIC 3). WHEN THE LOCAL BOWLING ALLEY WAS TORN DOWN, THIS NETTED ME ALOT OF WOOD BOARDS WHICH WERE SLOPPILY PAINTED AND WERE RUSTIC. I PUT SOME QUARTS, 5 QUARTS AND 2-GALLONS ON THESE SHELVES (SEE PIC 2).
ALWAYS BE SURE TO SECURE AND SHELVES NOT BUILT INTO A WALL SUCH AS BETWEEN STUDS. EXAMPLE....THE SHELF IN PIC 2 WAS
MADE ON THE SIDE AND THEN FASTENED TO THE WALL JUST IN CASE SOMEONE OR SOMETHING BUMPED INTO IT....IT WAS WOULDN'T FALL AWAY FROM THE WALL AND POSSIBLY DAMAGE SOME OF THE FULL QUARTS IN THE DISPLAY.
MY ADVISE IS THE ALLOCATE YOUR SPACE FOR WHATEVER SIZE CANS, BOTTLES, ETC YOU PLAN TO PUT IN THE SECTION AND SO ON. TAKE MEASUREMENTS DRAW PICTURES LIKE A ROUGH BLUEPRINT AND WRITE DOWN YOUR MEASUREMENTS AND ALWAYS MEASURE TWICE AND CUT ONCE!
I ONLY KNOW OF 2 OTHER CAN COLLECTORS
AND MAYBE THEY WILL CHIME IN AND OFFER
SOME RELIEF TO YOUR DREAM GARAGE DISPLAY STRESS!!! SCOTT (QUARTCANS) AND DON (5 QUART).....ANY SUGGESTIONS?

HOPE THIS HELPS......

DOC @ TAG/WEST
drcoke@optonline.net
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:34 PM
Wow Doc, nice collection! I agree with the above post about the shelf. People are going to notice the cans and not the shelf. Being somewhat new to collecting oil cans and such, I have found a 1x6 piece of lumber works well as a quart can shelf. I have a piece cut to fit the wall and placed it right above the entry door inside my garage. As my collection progresses, I hope the shelf eventually makes it around the perimeter of the garage. I painted the shelf white, and when I have some time, I may paint a small black and white checker board pattern on the exposed face of the shelf. The other thing, if you can do it, would be to display the cans in an original or custom made repo of an old Sel-Oil cabinet or wire rack.

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 01:41 PM
I guess I don't count as a can colletor. Check out quart of the month and see who post. Don has 5 quarts Scott has quarts and I only have about 1500 quarts. I'll post some pictures of what I did and have fun. How many quarts do you have? Want to sell some rare ones. Oh thats right I'm not a collector. Oh by the way a friend of mine has over 10,000 quarts but he isn't on the list. Ted
Posted By: djhubba Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 01:59 PM
LOL Ted..i dont think doc Tag knows Fred..and who could forget you ...youre unforgetable my friend. Hows diesel? Give that beauty a hug from me.

------------------
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 02:04 PM
OOPS, SORRY TED...DIDN'T KNOW OF YOUR INTENSE INVENTORIES...JUST SEEN 'EM HERE AND THERE IN QUART OF THE MONTH, ETC.
HEY! IF YOU'VE GOT'EM...FLAUNT'EM!
LET'S SEE 'EM AND YOUR DISPLAY SYSTEM(S).
....BATTER UP!

DOC @ TAG/WEST
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 02:15 PM
Alrighty then I guess I got my point across. I will post tonight as I am hard at work right now. Hey Doc just rattling your cage. Glad you noticed. Ha Ha. The lion is in the cage. Ted
Posted By: 5 quart Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 06:24 PM
Hi BJwels- welcome- I collect mainly 5qt cans- on shelves= stacks etc- if this doesnt come up click on my profile and then homepage- thanks don Any extra 5qt cans for sale?? thanks don

Also, go to my eBay profile and homepage - thanks
------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

Edit to display image.

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 09-16-2004).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 08:04 PM
HERE'S SOME MORE OF MY HOMEMADE OIL CAN SHELVING....

THESE SHELVES MADE WITH 1x LUMBER HOLD MOST OF MY OUTBOARD CANS WHICH I FILLED UP QUICKLY AND OVERFLOWED!

THESE SHALVES ARE THE METAL TYPE
THAT ATTACHED TO THE WALL AND ARE ADJUSTABLE. THE TOP SHELF IS A TWO-TIER WITH LARGER CANS UP TOP AND SMALLER CAN ON THE LOWER FRONT. I RECENTLY ADDED THE TWO
LOWER SHELVES TO HOLD MY EVER GROWING 2-GALLON CANS...ABOUT 30
ARE DISPLAYED HERE.

HERE I HAVE TWO SHELVES ON A WALL
OVER MY WORKBENCH IN THE GARAGE. THE UPPER SHELF HAS VAR SIZES AND BRANDS. THE LOWER SHELF HAS 90% MOBIL PRODUCTS. THE SHELVES ARE 6' LONG.

THIS IS A OPEN AIR CABINET THAT WAS ORIGINALLY MADE TO HAVE CLEAR PLEXIGLAS SLIDING DOORS. INSTEAD
I PUT MORE VAR SIZES AND BRANDS
HERE AS A DISPLAY. ALSO STACKING
DOUBLE HIGH SEVERAL QUARTS UNDER THE CABINET ON THE COUNTERTOP.

DOC @ TAG/WEST
drcoke@optonline.net
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:50 PM
Welcome bjwels. What I use is 3/4" by 5" wide white boards (any length you want) that I get at Home Depot. I space the shelves 6"'s apart to give the look with no space between the shelves. Here is a sample.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d737b3127cceb6ee1c97a11b0000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Missouri
WANTED: Sooner Queen
Posted By: Oldgas Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:30 PM
Nice cans, guys! Whoops, I was looking at the cans, not the shelves. LOL
A guy can also display some oil cans on an island wire rack like this:

Or in a cabinet like this:

A resourceful guy could make one of those cabinets out of a gas pump that is short a few parts.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: oil can display ideas??? - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:51 PM
Scott "Quart Cans" send me the Minute-man quart oil can when you send me the Wake-up Quart.WOW!!
Your display will always be dictated by the space you have I prefer the orginal oil racks, Sel-Oil cabinets to the smaller carry out racks.I have a few Video racks filled with outboard cans easy to adjust and move around.
Anyhow the FUN is filling them up!!
REX
KYSOILMAN
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: oil can display ideas??? - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:39 AM
Welcome bjwels and fellow can collector. Nice display Scott !!!! I chose to frame out like a large window and recess into the walls some storage for quart cans. Only the best for my cans oak with trim.

The self above house larger cans. The oak selves were made to almost exact height of cans and width made to hold quarts fairly close together. Below is a closer look of one section.

Then when you run out of or don't plan for enough quarts. I used parts bins from a dealer that closed down.They are adjustable. I put casters under them to move them around.

Make it nice enough and even a dog likes to view. The dog (Diesel) is for Hubba.

Posted By: T-way Re: oil can display ideas??? - Fri Sep 17 2004 11:36 AM
You know . . . . I been thinking about picking up a few quarts. But by the looks of it - there is no way I could just get a few!

I think I'll go with my original plan and only buy quarts from Oilzum, Pennzoil or those with a 'Native American' featured on them. Oh, and I'm filling up a 50's Marvel Mystery Oil rack I got off e-bay with metal quarts and pints. (Anybody got any for sale?)

Great displays guys, I really enjoy seeing how othere display their collectables. I think that the display MAKES the collection. Otherwise, all you have is a bunch of petro clutter that you can't appreciate.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com
Posted By: oil stuff Re: oil can display ideas??? - Sat Sep 18 2004 10:03 PM
Welcome bjwels. I have the same metal shelves that Doc has in his 5th pic. I love them, I dont know how many times being able to adjust them up and down has saved me. But it can get a lil high$$$ Nice collections guys!!!
Posted By: bjwels Re: oil can display ideas??? - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:25 PM
Woweeeee!!!!!! We have been without power for a few days due to flooding here in PA... sorry I couldn't respond sooner. Thanks for all the ideas!! I'm so.. jealous of your collections... very nice!!! Yes.. it is new construction... so I kinda have a blank slate. I started to hang road signs and station signs on the walls but I need the height for the cans. I thought about building the shelves myself but was hoping there was a way I could cheat...LOL. I need some station racks... maybe I'll luck out at hershey in OCT. I had the neighbor lady over the other day and she offered to help me carry all my old junk from the garage to the curb for the trash man... I had to explain that it was a collection not junk... thats pretty sad... it needs a display!! I have probably 50 signs, a couple hundred cans, tire displays and ash trays, maps and map holders, f-1 racing uniforms ect... absolutly anything to do with a gas station. See I love antiques... and my husband loves cars... so this was a way to comprimise. I can do the car fleas and buy the cans and gas station signs and items while he drools over the cars..LOL. Actually eventually I'd love to build a 2nd garage and have it resemble a general store with pumps outside maybe like on the waltons. Some day......
juls ( I think I'm the only girl on here...LOL)
Posted By: djhubba Re: oil can display ideas??? - Tue Sep 21 2004 04:23 PM
I guess its true..all the good ones are already married...LOL..What a great gal...youre not the only girl on here but one of the few...again welcome...too cool.

------------------
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: oil can display ideas??? - Tue Sep 21 2004 04:47 PM
JULS! YOU AND HUBBY ONLY GO HERSHEY? WHAT ABOUT CARLISLE?
I RECOGNISE YOUR HOMETOWN FROM SIGNS ALONG I-81. BEEN GOING TO CARLISLE FOR 20 YEARS NOW. EVER EATEN AT THE EAST AND/OR WEST SHORE DINERS??? YUMMY 2X! I WILL BE DOING FALL CARLISLE OCT 1 & 2.
COME OUT AND SAY HELLO!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES.
drcoke@optonline.net
Posted By: bjwels Re: oil can display ideas??? - Tue Sep 21 2004 06:23 PM
I figured there had to be a few other girls lurking out there...LOL. Yes we do a few of the shows at carlisle as well.. never miss corvette week. I love flea mkts.... I try to get to them all. We try to plan our vacations around shows in other areas. Hubby gets a kick out of the shows ( so do I but it's a secret...sh....) I figure he could have alot worse habits... so instead of bitching..join him ( I figure it's "shopping" just cleverly disguised). I really do appreciate the pics and the ideas. I'll have to post pics after I'm done... but it may take awhile....
juls
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk