Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: davidlc rebel oil company - Wed Feb 03 2016 03:42 AM
hey guys, does anyone know any history about rebel oil co. / rebel gas? I've had a sign for around 15 yrs but never had much info about the company, or even the age.
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: rebel oil company - Wed Feb 03 2016 10:39 AM
They were out of Whistler, al (near Mobile). Had about 25 stations of their own and about another 75 branded. Their area was south Alabama, panhandle of FL, and south MS. They were purchased by TCR in late 64 and the Rebel brand was phased out in the late 60's. I know many of the old employees and owner well if you have any specific questions. Also have most examples of their stuff that survived if you need pics.
Posted By: davidlc Re: rebel oil company - Wed Feb 03 2016 04:26 PM
thanks a lot,i did not realize there was that few, wow,do you know around what year the first rebel gas stations was?and did the sign change?would love to see some pics of your collection,also would love to see a pic of an old rebel station.
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: rebel oil company - Wed Feb 03 2016 07:43 PM
I'll have to go look at my notes but I'm thinking early 50's. I'll check when I get out of the woods. They were originally American Oil. However when AMOCO wanted to come into Alabama they purchased the rights to that name from the Derrings for $250k. That's when the Derrings had to create a new name..... Rebel. The first set of signs were porcelain Rebel Oil ones. Then they switched to porcelain Rebel Gas (which are the majority we find today). There at the end they had some plastic Rebel Gas ones. I'm not aware of any plastic ones surviving.
Posted By: ChuckD Re: rebel oil company - Sat Dec 10 2016 08:23 AM
Hey guys, great information on Rebel Oil, and you are right about the American Oil thing, After Rebel was sold to Texas City Refinery is when Mustang oil was started. Al and Bud Darring (my uncles) were the owners of Rebel and Mustang.Their older brother , Uncle Walter, also had a small oil company called D.A.M. Oil corp, which he always told us stood for Dad And Moms Oil company. He was quite the character..... Al Darring is still alive today and lives in Daphne, I see him often.... I'd like for him to see some pics of these collections! Thanks , Chuck Darring.....
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: rebel oil company - Sat Dec 10 2016 01:38 PM
Hey Chuck, I sent you a Private Message for you to get up with me at your convenience.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: rebel oil company - Sun Dec 11 2016 03:06 AM
There is an old station in Daphne that now has a picture framing business in it. The owner of that old station lived behind the station, is that Al Darring?

Jack Sim
Posted By: ChuckD Re: rebel oil company - Mon Dec 12 2016 09:27 AM
Jack, I don't think so, Al lives in Farhope, which is near Daphne, but he never lived behind a station in that area to my knowledge. Ill have to look into that.....Thanks
Posted By: cormy Re: rebel oil company - Mon Dec 19 2016 03:11 PM
So all these Rebel porcelain pump plates you see on Ebay are the real thing? The red ones with the rebel guy..
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: rebel oil company - Mon Dec 19 2016 04:08 PM
Nope. Fakey Fakey..... along with the new ones that look like the 2 gallon oil can. The ONLY sign big or small Rebel had is the 6fter
Posted By: advertologist Re: rebel oil company - Mon Dec 19 2016 10:18 PM
a 6ft example .. ... cool

Attached picture 1reb6ft.jpg
Posted By: MrWatts Re: rebel oil company - Tue Jun 19 2018 07:09 PM
Hey guys, found this forum using a Google search. I was looking at my mothers birth certificate and it said my grandfather was a station manager at Rebel Gas back in 68. I believe in Pratville, AL.

He worked for the Mobile Police Dept. when I was growing up but he did mention his brother being in the oil business back in the day, so maybe they worked together. I had never heard of Rebel Gas so thanks for sharing.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk