Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Done4 Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 12:57 PM
I've been looking for this can for a long time and finally found one. I was very excited to get it for a fair price and to add to my collection.

Well, the guy I got it from did the worse packing I have ever seen! No protective inside packing, box was smaller the can and here was the end result. I knew I was in trouble when the damaged carton arrived and was very depressed when I opened it. A great can lost, sad.

Attached picture small 5.jpg
Attached picture small 4.jpg
Attached picture small 1.jpg
Attached picture small 3.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 12:59 PM
Crushed beyond repair in my opinion.

Attached picture small2.jpg
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 01:05 PM
That is really sad! It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to the purchaser in the same condition as when it was purchased! I hope you contacted them with these pictures.
Another lesson in the necessity of packaging for extreme handling situations! Stuff happens, and when it happens to one of these collectibles, everyone loses!
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 01:25 PM
Rats.
Posted By: nochevys Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 01:30 PM
OUCH!
Just a can in the box no packing material?

Just sad!!!
Posted By: trifiver Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 01:55 PM
Looks like it came from EBay

File A claim , You will get your Money back.
Sorry the can is DEAD but getting your money might make you feel a little better

Sid
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 02:17 PM
It survived mankind unharmed for 60 years,but it couldn't escape the ***** who sent it.
Posted By: Ed Steagall Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 02:17 PM
frown I had a similar instance with The Post Office and a seller doing bad packaging. I bought an emblem at a gonga deal on E-Bay. The seller merely put the emblem in an envelope! Needless to say, when the envelope went through the sorting machines, it squeezed out never to be seen again. I received an empty envelope with the end blown out. The Post Office insurance would only give me what I paid for it, not the actual worth. This can has been searched for, for a long time. And if he got a good deal, he will not be correctly compensated. As well as the fact a nice survivor can has been lost to History forever. cry Ed.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 02:31 PM
frustrating
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 02:40 PM
PM Sent
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 02:49 PM
That really sucks Les. Every time I buy something that has to be shipped I hold my breath until it gets here in one piece and unscathed. I know it looks like it can't be saved, but I would think that someone might be able to take the bottom off and salvage it with a new bottom? I see Dan has sent you a pm, maybe he can help. Don't know if he can do the square cans or not, I haven't heard much about doing that. I hope so.....GB
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 03:06 PM
Wow Less!! What a cr@p situation!! And a loss for us all!!
Crazy thing, despite the packaging, that thing took one hell of a hit!!! That, should NEVER happen!! It would have taken quite a bit more than just some bubble wrap to have protected it against such a hit.

Hope you at least get your money back!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 03:13 PM
box with can would have been immediately sent back too seller with tracking # & payment stopped .. ... cool
Posted By: Savinsam Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 03:35 PM
Is it possible that the big "fragile" note on top encouraged someone to give it a big hit?
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 03:36 PM
I looked at the recent listing and it looks like he took a picture of a different can and poorly packaged a another smashed can and sent that one to you. Look at the original listing at the top above the US QUARTS there is no mark or chip there. He is going to make you deal with a claim. I may be wrong but it is my opinion.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 03:39 PM
Although it was not packaged correctly inside, That damage is 100% on the USPS, They are the responsible party in this one.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 03:47 PM
An absolute shame to lose such a nice can!! It's impossible to know what some people are thinking.

I have had the same experience. Lost a couple of really nice quart cans when the sellers mailed them in boxes that hardly fit around the can. I now email most sellers I'm completing a deal with and tell them they need to double box and either ship in a cardboard tube of extensive bubble wrap. Most accommodate me with no questions asked.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 03:57 PM
This maybe past repair. I have built a couple of bands the size of cans and put compressor air to them. You would be surprise as some dents will come out. Be carefull you can also bust them wide open.
Posted By: trifiver Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 04:03 PM
He shows a Good Can sold in completed auctions Item # 161954882634

Looks like the can you have now is the one now with a buy it now
$100.00

Item # 152008527223

Sid
Posted By: Done4 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 04:23 PM
Thanks Sid, yup that is the can that took the hit. I guess this is the risk we take when buying and shipping is involved. I was more angry about the piece being damaged because of a lazy person.

When I emailed him he simply said "oh well file a claim with ebay". That also ***** me off with his lack of concern. Good news I guess is it hasn't that often to me and hope it doesn't again.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 04:26 PM
No, that is not true, funny, I just checked my ebay paid for file and the original listing has been removed from my file. Thanks ebay.
Posted By: shotts Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 04:30 PM
I agree with you guys, the can you paid for is not the one you got!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Thu Mar 17 2016 05:00 PM
Just checked and that is a different can than the one I bought.

Attached picture compaison.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Sun Mar 20 2016 02:01 AM
...And the shipper just says, "Oh well, file a claim with e-bay." Tell him you are also filing a Misdemeanor Fraud complaint with his local police, since he (knowingly) shipped you the wrong can as a scam.

People get away with too many scams...

Hope your claim goes smooth.
Posted By: wocopep Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Sun Mar 20 2016 02:16 AM
This can is still a current auction on ebay. Something doesnt smell right here.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Sun Mar 20 2016 02:43 AM

I think I would take action against him.
Posted By: dodgeman60 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Sun Mar 20 2016 10:30 AM
Just my opinion here only, Looks like E-bay is a real good place to stay away from these days.......
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Sun Mar 20 2016 02:38 PM
Sounds like you may have another issue on your hands, but,

It's still sad to see this stuff get destroyed due to carelessness. I just recently had the same thing happen to me. Purchased a beater can as a temporary placeholder (one day I will find a nice one) and it came crushed. Seller put it in a box that was the same size as the can with no cushion. I was refunded the money and kept the can but still was a shame.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: BIGFOOT Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Mon Mar 21 2016 10:07 PM
If fraud occurred that's one thing.
Additionally,....it's amazing how thoughtless some people are when shipping.
Sometimes you need to go full negative on EBay stuff sent that way. How many people have received signs shipped that either cut through the cardboard or there is packing tape on the signs surface? Or both.
Some people's children......
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Tue Mar 22 2016 12:40 AM
Read my next article in the April PCM Magazine...No common sense here. Need to pack thing right! Scott B.
Posted By: essco Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Tue Mar 22 2016 02:20 AM
Sad but I don't think a double box would have made any significant difference. It takes alot of weight to damage the box and smashing the can. I get 20 to 30 priority packages delivered a week and never had one show up crushed.that must have been one angry postman.sad
Posted By: Semitar6 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Wed Mar 23 2016 06:19 AM
You cant ship anything through USPS and expect it to arrive unscathed, unless you go out of your way to make sure its packed very securely. Even then, it might not help. I recently packed a old Firestone sign in a wood shipping crate and it still arrived damaged. It actually looked like someone had ran over it with a forklift. A beautiful porcelain sign, ruined. Fortunately I was insured against the damage but what a pain in the ***** to deal with.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Wed Mar 23 2016 12:52 PM
Interesting. Yesterday I had a USPS shipment arrive. An updated GPS DVD for my car shipped in a way larger box than the DVD and the box looked like a spike had been driven into it. But they (USPS Gremlins)missed the DVD.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Wed Mar 23 2016 05:56 PM
It seems that there is an epidemic of Clueless Sellers out there. crazy Maybe we should start a Forum and wager if items will have survived the packing or lack there of?

A few days ago, I bought a 1925 Emergency 1 gallon Gas Can that is marked Aetna Oil.... The package arrived just a few minutes ago... eek

Honestly, I was nervous about what I would find when I pulled the can out of the box... sick

It seems to my eye; to be more flat and bent than the Auction photos showed when I bought it.. cry .. LOL But, I have my trusty long handled "slip joint" pliers always handy and I was able to make it look close to when it was first used... And I guess I could always try filling it with liquid to see if more dents would pop out? confused

The can in relationship to the box....

I was lucky, that the damage was not worse. wink I will send a polite note to the Seller; telling him that the can arrived... And make a suggestion that he use the appropriate size boxes when he ships items. And if he needs to charge more for shipping; then do so....

I hope this is the last item I get packed in this manner; for a long, long time! grin
Posted By: TJammer Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Wed Mar 23 2016 09:02 PM
I can't help but laugh !! Bob, its a good thing for the seller that you are being so light hearted about it. That has got to be the worse packing job I've ever seen! He should have a least loaded it up with packing tape. Lol..
Posted By: Semitar6 Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Mon Mar 28 2016 06:35 AM
It doesn't even look like he put tape down the center lid of the box??? That is a travesty. I keep a million different sized boxes on hand, foam sheeting, air bags and shredding to prevent this problem. It might take you a lot longer to pack, but your customers won't be complaining when their items arrived unscathed.
Posted By: 42packard Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Mon Mar 28 2016 12:52 PM
Beings how we are sharing bad packaging. I bought a shell globe a few years back from a very nice gentleman, he said he packed it very securely and had paid the post office extra for hand cancelling so it did not have to be run through the machines. When I went to pick it up at the Post Office and they set it on the counter it made a nice tinkling sound. We opened it up and this was the result. I felt bad for the guy who sold it to me as it had been in his family for years and came from his Dad's station. Luckily the insurance paid for everything but it was still a hassle find another one.

Attached picture shell2.JPG
Attached picture shell.JPG
Attached picture shell3.JPG
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Bad packaging equals junk - Mon Mar 28 2016 02:15 PM
Seller did try to make it safe...Built this wooden box. But, all the shock from the wooden box knocked around went straight to the lenses.. I wanted these bad too frown

Attached picture IMG_0701.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0702.jpg
Attached picture DPP_0002.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk