Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Done4 Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Tue Dec 20 2016 08:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm starting to freshen up my wayne 50, not doing a restoration but leaving it the way I found it without to much touch up (I hope).

I have searched and searched to try and find machine screws that hold the glass frame together, no luck! They are machine screws 1/4 X 1/4 with #32 threads. I realize that these were probably specialty bolts, but if I can find some in brass I think I modify them to appear as the originals.

If someone can point me in the right direction to get this (length not critical) I would really appreciate it, thanks. Les

Attached picture wayne.JPG
Try McMaster Carr on the internet and search for brass screws.
I have had good luck there...

My eye sees a 1/4 20 thread?? Just wondering???

Dennis
Les, are they 1/4"x32 bolt/thread size, 1/4" long or is the actual screw size 10x32 and they are 1/4" long with a 1/4" wide head?
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Tue Dec 20 2016 09:21 PM
The bolts are 1/4" Dia, #32 fine threads, 1/4" long.
Hmmm, never seen that thread size on a 1/4" screw. Wonder if you could tap the holes out to the more common 1/4 x 28 thread and then you could use a more common brass screw and machine the head flat. Just thinkin.... I've done that on the face plate screws that are that super fine thread and it worked fine....GB
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Tue Dec 20 2016 09:48 PM
Thanks GB and Dennis, I had thought about retapping as a last resort. Good news I'm far away right now from needing them. Thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it. So let the games begin.
I got mine from Ron Scobie. I had to cut them down. The rest of the cabinet used them uncut.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:57 AM
Thanks Matt. Les
Posted By: grantg Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Wed Dec 21 2016 03:46 AM
Try BoltDepot.com
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Wed Dec 21 2016 01:14 PM
BoltDepot was the first place I went, but thanks.
Those aren't the same as Wayne 60 bolts? Look similar.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Wed Dec 21 2016 11:12 PM
No, these are only a 1/4" long and have a very thin flat slot head and have fine threads not coarse. Wish they were.
Posted By: PLUM_72 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Thu Dec 22 2016 03:06 PM
Those almost look like Holley carburetor fuel bowl plugs. Little screws in the side of the fuel bowl to check the float/fuel level.

Attached picture hly-26-85_ml.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Thu Dec 22 2016 04:05 PM
Dang, if they're 1/4" in diameter they could be a winner. Thanks PLUM 72! I'll check into it, I have some old holleys to check it out.
Posted By: TeeTee Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Thu Dec 22 2016 09:26 PM
How many do you need? I may have some extra used ones.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help finding right machine screw for wayne 50 - Fri Dec 23 2016 03:26 PM
TeeTee, you're over the PM limit, but it looks like I will need six if you can spare them and let me know what you need, thank you for your help. Les
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk