Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Wasatch Man Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 05:48 PM
I just have a question , this is a 1957 National 365 Porcelain gas pump . I picked it up a long time ago in Nampa Idaho along with a second incomplete pump , this one has the original flying A ethly ad glass the other had the flying A regular ad glass . This pump is not restored the only thing not original are the pump faces . We all see the National pumps in the I guess you call it lime green porcelain so whats up with this blue green color? Sorry for the dark pictures.

Attached picture IMG_0809.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0812.JPG
Posted By: huskybob Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 06:19 PM
Here's one that appears to have the darker blue sides and top, but has the lighter green on the doors.

Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 06:25 PM
Thanks Bob , maybe this color was used in a certain part of the west , what State is that pump in ?
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 06:29 PM
Never seen that color porcelain pump but I like it!
Posted By: gaspower Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 06:32 PM
I've seen a couple of those Flying A blue porcelain National pumps here in Washington state. Great pumps.
Posted By: huskybob Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By Wasatch Man
Thanks Bob , maybe this color was used in a certain part of the west , what State is that pump in ?

The pump is still being used in Eastern Washington State.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 06:55 PM
This color is rare. It was used for a short period. I have not pinpointed the exact years but I think it was used somewhere between 1957 and 1959. There were two combos, all blue-green and blue-green body with red doors. I have seen many pumps with this color under repaints. They switched to a light blue-green color around 1960. The above Rapidaton pump is all lime-green and the visable blue-green was painted over the lime-green. Their cans, other packaging and advertising switched colors as well. Here are some Tydol cans in the three colors. Also here is a A-360 in the blue-green I used to own and a Wayne 70 I did a rustoration on using the blue-green. The colors were used across the country.

Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 07:31 PM
I have an nos porcelain National 360 top in the box. It's the same color...I'll have to check but if I remember correctly it has Getty ad glasses in it.
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sat Feb 11 2017 07:31 PM
Thanks Matt, that is great information that I didn't have before now .By the way I have noticed you have an impressive collection . Peter
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sun Feb 12 2017 12:29 AM
Super cool. I did not know they made that color of porcelain pumps.
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sun Feb 12 2017 01:14 AM
right on Matt very nice example!!!!!!,great tri on the cans blue one is very hard to find!!!!Alan
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Blue Porcelain Flying A gas pump - Sun Feb 12 2017 02:44 AM
There were the painted blue ones used on the oil can racks also.

Attached picture DSC02687.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk