Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 10:06 PM
I want to thank Matt for "helping me" give new life to an NOS Flying A decal!

A few months ago I was lucky enough to win on Ebay, 3 NOS Flying A Motor Diesel Fuel decals. But, because of their size and age; I didn't have a clue what to do with them? When Bob (Lastgas15), posted his thread about using an old decal and Matt replied with his workmanship. I got the idea to contact Matt and ask him if he would be interested in a deal? A deal where he would mount the decal for me on a piece of plexi-glass and in return I would give him the other two decals for his use on a pump. Matt suggested instead of plexi-glass, he instead mount the decal on a piece of painted metal; so it would look like it was on a pump door. We came to an agreement and he sent me a photo of the decal on the metal...

Today, I received my Flying A Motor Diesel Fuel decal and I think it looks fantastic and wanted to share it with Oldgas.

The decal is 14" tall x 12" wide. Matt placed the decal paper on the back of the metal so anyone in the future will know that the decal was NOS... I can honestly say; this is something I doubt I ever could have mounted without overlaps and multiple bubbles.

upload photos

image hosting
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 10:15 PM
Looks real nice smile
Posted By: Oldgas Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 10:30 PM
Awesome! Such a great story spotlighting the good side of our hobby.
Posted By: advertologist Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 10:30 PM
awesome, ready too hang .. ... cool
Posted By: Derbygasman Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 10:37 PM
Looks awesome. Great job Matt!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 11:24 PM
India on line 2..
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 11:40 PM
Nice craftsmanship Matt!
Posted By: Done4 Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Thu Mar 02 2017 11:48 PM
Matt's the guy who shares and always willing to help anyway he can. I know. Because he was a great resource to me.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Fri Mar 03 2017 12:50 AM
Awesome!! Looks so good.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Fri Mar 03 2017 12:55 AM
Awesome Bob! Looks good!
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Fri Mar 03 2017 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By Oldgas
Awesome! Such a great story spotlighting the good side of our hobby.

Yeah, what Jim said.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Fri Mar 03 2017 01:28 AM
Looks very nice Bob, and very nice of Matt to do this for you! I have some very nice old unused Mobil related decals that just sit in folders as I worry I don't have the expertise to apply them to anything correctly, and you only have one chance!

Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
India on line 2..

I couldn't help by LOL at Cold Pizza's comment, although I realize it isn't meant to be funny....the furnaces are probably fired up as we speak with the great artwork available!
Darin
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Sat Mar 04 2017 03:18 PM
love it BoB!!!! Matt did a outstanding job ......
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Sat Mar 04 2017 04:03 PM
Beautiful Bob! I got some old nos Shell decals from Matt for my Bennett double head lubester. I told him when I got them that I might need him to come to Missouri to put them on for me when the time came! Those things are so fragile, it takes a steady hand and a little experience to get them to work after all these years but he sure has a knack for it....GB
Posted By: TigerHunter Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Sat Mar 04 2017 04:34 PM
Great job! Great way to display.
Posted By: Nicole Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Sun Mar 05 2017 02:38 AM
Nice work - I think you have to be fearless, smooth and experienced when mounting those, any hesitation = bubbles.

Ditto on what everyone has said about Matt helping - he helped me with a project too! Plus he has been generous at sharing pic's of his incredible pump collection on OldGas.
Posted By: dalin Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Sun Mar 05 2017 06:10 AM
Nice work
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Sun Mar 12 2017 12:57 AM
We get our sign blanks cut by water jet and then have the powder coated. On my last run, I had some cut to shape for decals I have had in the drawer for years. Its a great way to preserve and display them!

Attached picture 17202831_10155926172618626_4122728805430268683_n.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: A thank you and shout out to Matt Alvarez - Sun Mar 12 2017 01:46 AM
They look great Lance!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk