Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: chevy350 Wayne 505 front panel sign placement - Wed Jun 21 2017 04:38 PM
I was double checking the placement of the signs on the front panel. The previous holes on mine I had repaired since they did not align with with my signs but assume the general placement is correct?

Attached picture IMG_20170620_133247990.jpg
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Wayne 505 front panel sign placement - Wed Jun 21 2017 07:59 PM
Your placement seems too high to me? I think the pump plates should be lower. I usually measure up from the bottom in odd numbers until I find the correct look. Try 9" then 11" then 13" or more. I think you will find the pump looks better if the signs are lower. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: JimT Re: Wayne 505 front panel sign placement - Thu Jun 22 2017 01:15 AM
Paul -Just curious here-Why odd numbers?
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Wayne 505 front panel sign placement - Thu Jun 22 2017 04:39 AM
These signs have been repro, which of the signs above our original or which are repros?

Jack Sim
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Wayne 505 front panel sign placement - Thu Jun 22 2017 04:55 AM
Originally Posted By gasmansgp
Your placement seems too high to me? I think the pump plates should be lower. I usually measure up from the bottom in odd numbers until I find the correct look. Try 9" then 11" then 13" or more. I think you will find the pump looks better if the signs are lower. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
I thought so too but measured placement on other pumps that "looked" original like the one posted and it is pretty darn close. You can kind of see where my original holes were on this backside photo. may be a hair lower. May be the angle I took the original picture also.

Attached picture IMG_20170620_120235513_1_.jpg
Attached picture pump22.jpg
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Wayne 505 front panel sign placement - Thu Jun 22 2017 04:59 AM
Originally Posted By Jack Sim
These signs have been repro, which of the signs above our original or which are repros?

Jack Sim
It would be nice to have a set of originals... but boy they are not cheap.. Repros on this are fine for me.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Wayne 505 front panel sign placement - Thu Jun 22 2017 10:22 AM
Originally Posted By JimT
Paul -Just curious here-Why odd numbers?
Jim, Over the years, I have measured original sign locations from the pumps restored. Just about all used odd numbers up from the bottom. I don't know why but they did? Since it worked for all these folks who came before me, I adopted the method. Check out all the pumps we have restored and you will see where we located the signage using this method. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk