Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BrianH Large Shell sign question - Sun Oct 15 2017 12:20 AM
Hi guys,
I have a chance to buy this. However, the lines on the sign are not of a pattern I've seen before and don't look "right" to me. I don't know if anyone is re-popping these large Shell signs but you never know. Am I being paranoid or does this sign not look right? It doesn't appear to have any "property of Shell" etc marking but not all of them did. I'm especially concerned about the two lines radiating from the left and right at the bottom of the shell. They look to be too close together.

thanks,

BrianH

Attached picture Shell.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: Large Shell sign question - Sun Oct 15 2017 12:32 AM
yours doesn't look right .. ... cool
pictures of:

Attached picture therealmccoy (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_2888[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_2887[1].JPG
Posted By: BrianH Re: Large Shell sign question - Sun Oct 15 2017 12:54 AM
That's what I thought too Randy....I did find a couple that sold at auction that do match mine, finally. However, the GREAT majority of them look like yours above.

To further muddy the waters, here's one Morphy sold back in 2012 that has an almost identical pattern to the one I'm looking at...

Dang, I thought the 4-footers were pretty safe to buy. Now I'm not so confident...

BrianH

Attached picture Shell2.JPG
Posted By: Big Block Cat Re: Large Shell sign question - Sun Oct 15 2017 01:02 AM
Brian, the sign you posted is good. The sign Randy posted is later version.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Large Shell sign question - Sun Oct 15 2017 01:19 AM
Anthony,
Thanks for the info on the sign. Any idea about what time frame it's from?

BrianH
Posted By: advertologist Re: Large Shell sign question - Sun Oct 15 2017 01:26 AM
Brian, mine is dated 8-36 so that
would make yours between '29 & '36 .. ... cool
Posted By: BrianH Re: Large Shell sign question - Sun Oct 15 2017 09:12 AM
Thank you Randy.

BrianH
Posted By: BrianH Re: Large Shell sign question - Mon Oct 16 2017 01:10 PM
I was able to buy the sign. Thanks guys for the input on it. I was able to buy with confidence based upon your feedback so I appreciate that. I'll post pics in BOTW soon.

BrianH
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk