Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: WarEagle1 Frozen manual pump - suggestions on breaking loose - Mon Nov 06 2017 12:14 AM
I'm starting a resto on a Bennett 810 visible and would like to be able to operate the handle but the pump is stuck solid. Do you guys have any suggestions on breaking it free.
Thought about pouring in a good amount of Kroil or the acetone/ATF blend and letting it soak awhile. Any success stories out there?
How far does the handle swing on a working visible pump (+/- 45 degrees???), or just one direction???. I've never operated one.
I'm new to petroliana but have been into old cars for years. Thanks for your help.
-Mike
Posted By: Eugene Re: Frozen manual pump - suggestions on breaking loose - Mon Nov 06 2017 12:28 AM
Try Free All Penetrating Oil. Spay in pump inlet and outlet- if possible. Let it soak. Then work pump back and forth. Might have to take apart. You can buy at O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Frozen manual pump - suggestions on breaking loose - Mon Nov 06 2017 09:56 PM
Mike,
My American visible was stuck solid like yours. One mine, the pump was stuck where the shaft the handle attaches to goes into the pump body. Here's what I did to free it up - first, I heated the pump body right in the area where the shaft goes in as hot as I could get it, then sprayed with water to quench it and bust loose the rust. Second, I lubed the pump cylinder with vaseline to keep the piston moving smoothly in the bore. Third, I soaked the area around the shaft with Kroil on the inside and outside, attached the handle and very gradually worked the handle back and forth, increasing the distance a little at a time, and it eventually freed up. It's still a bit on the stiff side but I'll hit it with more Kroil and keep working on it. It's free though.

BrianH
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk