Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jolly-John ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Fri Jan 26 2018 07:03 PM
I imagine this question might bug some guys....but has anyone used a spray can brand and color that hit the ECO air meter red pretty close? I have a very small project and would rather not buy a pint of the proper red, if I can help it. Thanks for any help. John
Posted By: advertologist Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Fri Jan 26 2018 08:12 PM
you might check "ace hardware", they have a large selection of colors .. ... cool
Posted By: Corey1955 Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Fri Jan 26 2018 08:29 PM
I have used rustoleum with good outcomes but do yourself the favor and prime it first. The smell goes away after a day or when the paint cures. Stay away from krylon it does not hold up well
Posted By: Recycle68 Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Fri Jan 26 2018 09:15 PM
Rustoleum "Sunrise Red"
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Fri Jan 26 2018 09:30 PM
They weren't all painted red originally... wink

Attached picture ECO.jpg
Attached picture ECO1a.jpg
Posted By: Awd Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Sat Jan 27 2018 02:54 AM
At my local paint supply store I can get a color matched automotive grade paint in a aerosol for under $20 bucks
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Sat Jan 27 2018 06:52 AM
The only two companies that ordered ECOs in the light gray were Mobil and Marathon and this was in the 1970s.

Also, I believe the red changed over the years, Just buying the paint from the lowest bidder. Around the 70s ECO switched to powder coating.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Sat Jan 27 2018 03:43 PM
Thank you, Guys, for all the good input. It's great to be able to get this kind of help on Old Gas. By the way....your ECO makes a nice coffee table decoration, Rick. Can I assume you're not married? Thanks again, everyone. John
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Sat Jan 27 2018 03:51 PM
She's the one that took those pics. laugh
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Sat Jan 27 2018 04:14 PM
Rick, you are truly blessed! John
Posted By: jetmechco Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Fri Dec 28 2018 06:54 PM
Can anyone verify what colors the ECO 97/98 were available in? - I have seen Red, Orange, White units which appear to be original - Im told they also came in green as well - I have recently came across this during a disassembly of a 98 - Is this color green legit?

Attached picture 20181227_123149.jpg
Attached picture 20181227_123123.jpg
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: ECO Air Meter Rattle Can Red Paint Color - Sat Dec 29 2018 01:21 AM
I use to do a lot of painting, but I now powder coat all my ECOs using the original red, I purchase it from the company that sold it to ECO.

Jack Sim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk