Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gulfiend! Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Feb 09 2018 01:58 PM
Does anyone know someone who can recreate custom opal/milk glass letters for a Flexlume sign? Asking for a friend...thanks!
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Feb 09 2018 02:52 PM
If they could or would, there is surely a market out there. Mike Slama might be able to help with this.
Posted By: wocopep Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sat Feb 10 2018 12:06 AM
Mecum just auctioned off some of the remains of the Flexlume left overs on January 14, 31/2 weeks ago in Kissimmee Fla and there were several of the replacement letters there. Some of the nicest pre neon Ive ever seen. The GULF signs and the PURE were killer signs.
Posted By: T-way Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sat Feb 10 2018 01:40 PM
These letters were made under vacuum.
Standard lens kilns do not have the ability to reproduce these letters.
I know, I spent six months trying.
Later . . .
Jim
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sat Feb 10 2018 06:36 PM
Those letters look like they are vacuum thermoformed. Have to make a mold out of wood or epoxy with strategically located vacuum sites to suck the heated plastic sheet to. After the sheet cools down then the letters need to be cut out with a cutting die made special for the letters. It’s not a difficult process but hard to do economically for one or two sets!

Process used a lot for packaging trays. I’d look for a packaging company near you that doesn’t mind doing small quantities. They’ll probably say no thanks though.
Posted By: T-way Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sat Feb 10 2018 07:58 PM
Paul,
The original letters are opaline glass formed under vacuum in a steel form.
IMHO, plastic won't look correct - unless you replaced every letter.
Then the costs would probably exceed the value of the sign.
Jim
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sat Feb 10 2018 09:00 PM
Wow, yeah, that will make it even worse to recreate if you have to do it in glass!
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Tue Feb 13 2018 01:47 PM
I am also looking for anyone who can make the letters .
Posted By: oiljobber Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Feb 14 2018 12:47 AM
I have seen some signs that have been restored and the letters are three-dimensional but made out of plastic. Looks great from afar but if you touch it you defintiely know. So some one out there is making them just not out of glass.
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sun Jan 13 2019 05:47 PM
I've been developing a process to recreate the milk glass letters.
I may be able to help you. PM me.
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Tue Mar 19 2019 08:37 PM
Here is an example of some of my work

Attached picture Plymouth.JPG
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Tue Mar 19 2019 08:38 PM
Another view

Attached picture Plymouth Sign.jpg
Posted By: Morgan Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Tue Mar 19 2019 10:23 PM
Very nice! Are they glass?
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Tue Mar 19 2019 11:11 PM
...looks great - are they glass?
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 12:08 AM
Yes, opal sheet glass formed in a glass kiln. It took me two years to get it right.

Attached picture IMG_4636.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4637.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4643 - Copy.jpg
Posted By: petropumps Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 12:10 AM
That is amazing. Bravo!
Posted By: Tankar Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 12:18 AM
very cool. great work
Posted By: AlbertaNorthStar Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 12:23 AM
Wow! That looks great keep up the good work!
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 01:46 AM
Very nice, that is an asset to the hobby and will help guys that need letters to complete their signs.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 03:50 AM
That's fantastic! Very impressive stuff...
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 05:29 AM
Excellent work. I can easily break glass but that stuff is beyond me. This thread has brought some real veterans out of lurker mode too.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 07:32 AM
Bill, looks great! Not an easy task! Did you have to make molds for each side of the letter or let the glass slump down on one? Just curious, ok if you don’t answer.
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 11:39 AM
There are several different molds involved depending on the font.
Thanks for all the positive comments!
If there is anyone out there looking for some help with one of their projects feel free to contact me directly.
Posted By: bennett_646 Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 01:57 PM
That's amazing!
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 20 2019 11:54 PM
Man could I have used those. Still have some of the signs, how to email you?
Thanks

Attached picture Imag040.jpg
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sun Mar 24 2019 03:17 PM
You can contact me at bptexas@comcast.com
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Sun Jun 09 2019 07:31 PM
I stand corrected. The email address is
bptexas@comcast.net
Posted By: JoshPA Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Wed Mar 04 2020 12:31 PM
BpTexas My names Josh and I just joined this site. So that I could message you. I’m in need of a letter O. For a Masonic sign I have. I have other letters could trade or would buy it. Please contact me my phone numbers 4845574946. I tried to dm you but will not let me see your profile. Probably cause I just signed up thank you.
Posted By: Gregcollette Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Aug 21 2020 10:19 PM
Please call me if your still making these 817-946-6460
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Jan 08 2021 03:09 AM
Just see this now, crazy year for sure. Are you still looking for letters?
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Jan 08 2021 02:05 PM
That's awsome. Being a mopar guy. I would love to have that sign lol
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Tue Jan 12 2021 05:18 PM
Feel free to call me to discuss.
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Feb 12 2021 01:24 PM
I have some sets of Kendall Milk Glass letters available for anyone who might have one of these signs.
Feel free to contact me.

Attached picture Kendall Milk Glass Sign.jpg
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Feb 12 2021 01:44 PM
Sent you a message.
Posted By: bptexas Re: Recreation of opal/milk glass letters? - Fri Feb 12 2021 09:37 PM
Here you go.
If anyone out there has any interest in these or any other custom made Milk glass letters please feel free to message should you have any questions

Attached picture IMG_6460.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6459.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6463.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk