Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Paul Bell Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sat Apr 21 2018 04:27 PM
I was curious about the original decals / graphics on a Fry 117, 10 gallon Mae West. Does anyone have a survivor pump with the original graphics or a close up of the original brochures? There's something about the reproduced graphics you always see - "guaranteed visible" - that looks a little off to me for some reason. Be nice to see what was original. Thinking of making my own graphics.

Thanks!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sat Apr 21 2018 04:58 PM
From all of the old pics I've seen I can't remember of any having water transfers on them and if there were I to would sure like to see them. Now you have me curious Paul.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sat Apr 21 2018 05:49 PM
Here are the two decals I see out there that are available. Not bad but would be interesting to see what was original. I think they used modern fonts to recreate but not sure.

Attached picture th1VUQQ28R.jpg
Attached picture thBAW7TCYR.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sat Apr 21 2018 07:05 PM
Scouring the web I found this pump advertised as original paint, but it looks more like a rustaration to me, but maybe... I like the lettering better, looks more period correct I think. Curious what you guys have out there?

Attached picture H1097-L114402138.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sat Apr 21 2018 08:02 PM
Wonder why they cut a notch in the door? Would have to open the door to set gallons anyway?
Posted By: Morgan Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sat Apr 21 2018 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Done4
Wonder why they cut a notch in the door? Would have to open the door to set gallons anyway?
So the door could close around the handle.

I've seen original paint pumps with FRY vertically on the door and Visible Measure at top and bottom of door. Can't find photos.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sun Apr 22 2018 10:17 AM
all that trouble and a rubber hose ? Dave

Attached picture Frypumpdecal.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sun Apr 22 2018 05:06 PM
Thanks for the pic Dave. Hopefully there are some more original pictures somewhere out there!
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Mon Apr 23 2018 09:31 PM
I found this picture with numbers marking the gallons, wondering if this is original? Also, on ten gallons?

Attached picture Fry-Mae-West-117-Visible-5-Gallon-Gas-_57.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sun Aug 12 2018 10:57 PM
Restoring a Mae West 10 gallon this week, getting stencils made for paint work. Updated the style of the graphics on the door, thought this was a little closer to original. I noticed there is a little notice tag on the inside of the access door, anybody know what's written on it? I might add it to my graphics if I can find it quickly.

Attached picture fry-015.jpg
Attached picture GVM2.jpg
Attached picture glm-009a (1).jpg
Posted By: Morgan Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sun Aug 12 2018 11:55 PM
I reproduced that inside door graphic years ago for a pump I did. I gave the pump to my daughter. Next time I'm at her house, I'll get a photo. IF I can remember.
Posted By: model72 Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Mon Aug 13 2018 02:52 AM
Paul, what company is making your stencils? I have been waiting 6 weeks for a company in CA to make stencils for my Bowser Red Sentry.
Joe
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Mon Aug 13 2018 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by Done4

You answered your on question.
Keeps the gasoline thieves away with lock on door.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Mon Aug 13 2018 03:43 AM
Hi Joe, I'm over in Wisconsin right now, I use a place called Sign Country in Appleton, WI. I give them the artwork already prepared so it saves them a lot of time and saves me artwork fees. Usually I get them within a week or two, six weeks is crazy long! Making stencils should be easy for them.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Mon Aug 13 2018 03:44 AM
Thanks Morgan, appreciate it.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Wed Aug 22 2018 11:21 PM
Painted the access door yesterday with the new graphics, took a lot of time painting three colors but worked out well.

Attached picture 1a.JPG
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Thu Aug 23 2018 12:13 AM
Looks great ! This would make an excellent water transfer decal.
Dave
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Thu Aug 23 2018 01:53 AM
Perfect!!! That's what I want on mine!
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Thu Aug 23 2018 02:25 AM
Who does water transfer decals ? Dave
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sat Jan 05 2019 10:40 PM
Paul this is the only picture I have ever seen of the decal I hope it helps.

Attached picture Locking Bar & Inside Decal.jpg
Posted By: Morgan Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Sun Jan 06 2019 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Rohr
Paul this is the only picture I have ever seen of the decal I hope it helps.

a few months ago:, Link: POTM Fry Mae West

Near bottom of page
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Graphics on a FRY 117 - Wed Jan 09 2019 09:18 AM
Hey Tim, thank you for posting those pictures! I’ve already finished up my pump but would be very useful for future restorations. Maybe I’ll prep the graphics so there available. Out of curiosity do you think there is something written under the gallon numbers, possibly “gallon” I suppose?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk