Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Gulf Warrior Trackside gasoline retailing - Fri Jun 29 2018 12:21 AM
Are any of you familiar with this? I was recently looking at a roadmap site and came across a couple of brands of gasoline that were sold practically straight from the railroad tankcar. For example:

Spur Distributing was based in Nashville, Tennessee and was started during the Twenties as a trackside retailer. By the Fifties, Spur had expanded to serve a number of states. This map was issued in 1953.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Trackside gasoline retailing - Fri Jun 29 2018 11:49 AM

There many brands that started out as tank car stations.
Here are two more tank car operations.
White Fire marketed in about a half a dozen states.
Colonial of Indiana & Progressive marketed the Colonial brand in Indiana & the Progressive brand in Michigan.

Dave

Attached picture White Fire ad.jpg
Attached picture Colonial-Progressive MW 1938.jpg
Posted By: Gulf Warrior Re: Trackside gasoline retailing - Fri Jun 29 2018 06:11 PM
Thanks, Dave!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Trackside gasoline retailing - Fri Jun 29 2018 08:46 PM
Jonathan, check out this 'Site( just click on the line): http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47233&#783374 It has a discussion on "Trackside Stations" with a few images.
Posted By: Gulf Warrior Re: Trackside gasoline retailing - Sat Jun 30 2018 12:46 AM
Good stuff, Bob. I see a bonus picture there of The Bomber Texaco station. But the best part was the link to the following picture. I'm guessing a Teamster strike caused a gasoline shortage in post-WWII Detroit. Look at those lines. Also, was Ethyl worth the extra penny?

[Linked Image]

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=137530
Posted By: eshaver Re: Trackside gasoline retailing - Sat Jun 30 2018 01:22 AM
Bob , thanks for posting the Tankkar station photos . I'm currently looking for a broken LGB Tank car as these are the scale I need to replicate one in 1-24th scale
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk