Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tbert1 Wayne 80 ad glass top - Wed Jan 16 2019 03:52 AM
I have a question about the Wane 80 Ad glass tops. Are they all metal or were some of them fiberglass? There is one coming up at a farm auction and wanted to be armed with some info when I go check it out . Thanks
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Wed Jan 16 2019 06:16 AM
The originals are metal. The fiberglass ones are new reproductions and require a lot of work to look decent. An original metal top is worth about $400, I knew because I just bought one recently on facebook but never actually got it. Hope that helps.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Wed Jan 16 2019 06:17 AM
Repop tops are made from some sort of fiberglass. All originals are steel. I am not aware of any originals made from any material other than steel.

-Steve
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Wed Jan 16 2019 06:20 AM
Haaa I just noticed Paul and I responded almost simultaneously. Good luck at the auction. I would probably stay far away from a used fiberglass repop. If it’s metal, and a good price, buy it.

-Steve
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Wed Jan 16 2019 06:52 AM
Back between 1995 and 2005 I knew a person who was making reproduction metal (Mobil only) tops. He didn't make many, but they were right on the money.

Jack Sim
Posted By: tbert1 Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Wed Jan 16 2019 05:15 PM
Can I send someone a pic of the pump so they can post it here for me? I forgot how to post pictures. Lol
Posted By: RandyM Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Wed Jan 16 2019 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by tbert1
Can I send someone a pic of the pump so they can post it here for me? I forgot how to post pictures. Lol

Maybe this thread will help ya.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=703369
Posted By: keithia Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Thu Jan 17 2019 01:19 AM
They did indeed make original fiberglass ad glass tops for the M&S 80. The bean shaped ad glass is also made of plastic and is not flat like glass. No vents on the side of the fiberglass either.

Check with Tom he will confirm.

Keith
Posted By: cggas Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Thu Jan 17 2019 12:32 PM
Yes they did make original fiberglass addglass tops, most I’ve seen were conoco & Co-op. Like Keith says they do not use the flat addglass, all I’ve seen had plastic addglass.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Thu Jan 17 2019 02:54 PM
Pump of topic.

Attached picture image1.jpg
Posted By: keithia Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Fri Jan 18 2019 03:06 AM
Check out this post that was on Oldgas. Please note the Conoco and Royal ad glass pumps that have the ad glass protrude out from the top. Those are original fiberglass tops. Also note they are vented where the top meets the side panel instead of louvers on the side like the steel ones.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=715190&page=1
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Fri Jan 18 2019 03:40 AM
I also believe they have a very special rubber that holds the glass in, be sure to save the old one.

Jack Sim
Posted By: keithia Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Fri Jan 18 2019 04:06 AM
Fiberglass tops have small screws on each side of ad glass the hold the plastic ad glass in. Steel tops have rubber that holds the glass in.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Sat Jan 19 2019 02:10 PM
Here is a factory original fiberglass top made for Conoco. Notice how the ad "glass" is made, its really plastic. Lights up green at night.

Attached picture IMG_20190119_49487.jpg
Posted By: tbert1 Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Mon Jan 21 2019 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the info on these fiberglass pump tops. How hard are the plastic ad panels to find? is anyone reproducing them? I'm hoping the pump goes for a good price so I an get it bought.
Posted By: tbert1 Re: Wayne 80 ad glass top - Sat Mar 02 2019 06:42 PM
Tom, have you ever seen one of these fiber glass tops and red? That pump I bought at the farm auction looks to have a red tint to it. Too bad it is broken.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk