Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Vince New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Thu Feb 28 2019 09:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Vince and I reside in Southern CA. I'm fortunate to have gotten from my Father-In-Law a Tokheim 39 Tall gas pump. It's in pretty good condition and I want to restore it. I've had some experience restoring other old items, however, this will be my first pump. The original markings on it show that it was a Chevron pump. I've looked on line and found this image of a Tokheim 39 tall with Chevron markings. I don't if any of you own this pump, but it looks amazing. I am confused as I thought Chevron's colors were red, white, blue, but someone told me the green / creme look was sometimes used. Is this accurate? Hopefully I've successfully uploaded the photo of the pump I'm referencing.

I look forward to the experience and guidance from all of you.

Thanks!

Vince

Attached File
Green:Creme.png  (237 downloads)
Attached picture Green Creme.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Thu Feb 28 2019 10:04 PM
Vince, Welcome to Oldgas. I've attached a picture of a couple of Chevron S&P's in my collection that are green and crème colored.

Attached picture Chevron Pair.jpg
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Thu Feb 28 2019 10:37 PM
Vince Chevron used different colors depending on the year. 1915-34 red white and blue. 1934-56 red. 1946-56 green and cream. 1956-69 combinations of red or blue or red and blue or white. Richard
Posted By: Vince Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Thu Feb 28 2019 10:53 PM
Thanks for the help Richard. I'm wanting to do a really nice and authentic restoration of my pump. I'll have to look and see the year my pump was manufactured. It still has the original tag on it. I like the green and creme color of the picture I posted but would hesitate using those colors if my pump wasn't in the right year. Interesting that my pump currently shows green, off white colors, but underneath, if you scrape those colors away, is red. Vince
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Fri Mar 01 2019 12:57 AM
The green and cream (green, cream and maroon on the porcelain signs) was used on independent stations and the red was used on company owned stations. The red, white and blue came later.
Posted By: Vince Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Fri Mar 01 2019 01:05 AM
Thanks Matt. You answered my next question, which would have been what determined the color options.
Posted By: huskybob Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Fri Mar 01 2019 07:55 AM
Here's an original Wayne 70 in the cream and green and as you can see there is the red underneath.
I've always thought this was one of the better color combinations for a pump.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dakar09 Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Fri Mar 01 2019 05:40 PM
Welcome Vince! I'm just getting into this pump restoration stuff too and "feel" your enthusiasm to do it right.

I agree the cream and green is a fantastic color combo for that pump. And it seems from the info provided above and the dates that pump was manufactured that you can definitely get away with it.

Excited to see pics of your project as it progresses.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Fri Mar 01 2019 07:27 PM
My mid 30s erie 71 was a factory red pump and later the green and cream added

Attached picture SAM_1361.JPG
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Sat Mar 02 2019 12:55 AM
Here is a Gilbarco. I no longer own it, it is in Gas Pump Rob`s collection.

Attached picture 100_7542.JPG
Posted By: gaspower Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Sat Mar 02 2019 06:51 AM
Vince, thanks for showing the image of my Tokheim 39! I matched the colors from an original pump in the General Petroleum Museum back in the day. The wheat color was generic, I think I had to mix the green until I liked the way it looked. All the other pumps look a little bit more accurate than mine.
Posted By: Vince Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Thu Mar 07 2019 10:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been off the grid. WORK !!!!!!! Thanks to all who have responded to my color questions. All very helpful information. I am curious if anyone know's who has the green / Creme pump I first posted at the top of this forum. Would love to hear from that person.

Thanks.
Posted By: huskybob Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Fri Mar 08 2019 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by Vince
Hi Everyone,

I am curious if anyone know's who has the green / Creme pump I first posted at the top of this forum. Would love to hear from that person.

Thanks.

[
Originally Posted by gaspower
Vince, thanks for showing the image of my Tokheim 39! I matched the colors from an original pump in the General Petroleum Museum back in the day. The wheat color was generic, I think I had to mix the green until I liked the way it looked. All the other pumps look a little bit more accurate than mine.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Fri Mar 08 2019 05:14 AM
You didn't mention which Tokheim 39 you have. Check out this page of my website, it explains all the different 39s: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039a.htm

If you email me with the Model Number and the Serial Number I will tell you what year and possibly the month it was born.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Vince Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Sun Mar 10 2019 04:50 PM
Hi Jack,

I'm pretty sure I have a 39 Tall.

My Tokheim information is:

Serial #: 851622

Model: 39

Type: VP

There's also another number on the plate: A19044. It's at the bottom and I don't know what it represents.

I'd love to know any information you can give me. Thanks very much for your time.

Vince
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Sun Mar 10 2019 07:38 PM
Blue book shows 1-1-1941 - 12-31-1941 serial numbers 841,966 - 854,808. Richard
Posted By: Vince Re: New Member Chevron Tokheim 39 green / creme - Wed Mar 20 2019 08:02 PM
Hi Jack,

I'm pretty sure I have a 39 Tall.

My Tokheim information is:

Serial #: 851622

Model: 39

Type: VP

There's also another number on the plate: A19044. It's at the bottom and I don't know what it represents.

I'd love to know any information you can give me. Thanks very much for your time.

Vince
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk