Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mtrotnic 4 Globes, how do I determine real vs reproduction? - Tue Apr 09 2019 01:23 AM
These 4 globes are part of my late father's estate. He had a pretty descent globe and can collection back in the 70s and 80s but these are what remain from the globes. The white Tioga is all one piece but the others are all double sided in a body. The Franklin and other Tioga are in ripple body I believe its called. The Little Bear body is plastic. I'm sure it's difficult to discern reproduction lenses from pics but are there other signs to look for to determine what I have? I can post better pics if that will help.
Thank you all,
Michael

Sorry for the sideways pics

Attached picture 20190408_080558.jpg
Attached picture 20190408_080630.jpg
Attached picture 20190408_080637.jpg
Attached picture 20190408_080648.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: 4 Globes, how do I determine real vs reproduction? - Tue Apr 09 2019 01:40 AM
look for seam around the ripples and the top of the ripples body's look for writing around top or bottom face of lenses like licensed by or webers something like that.
Sent you a PM
Posted By: nuts66 Re: 4 Globes, how do I determine real vs reproduction? - Tue Apr 09 2019 06:10 PM
IMO - the Ben Franklin and the little bear are probably legit, look on the inside of the Tioga if it's all white on the inside it's not real otherwise u may have a great globe. And I don't believe that Tioga ever had a 1 pc. globe
Thanks for the replies and PMs. I will get back with everyone in order over the next few days.
Michael
Originally Posted by Tankar
look for seam around the ripples and the top of the ripples body's look for writing around top or bottom face of lenses like licensed by or webers something like that.

I see no seams on the ripple bodies. Would the seams be running up and down if the body was sitting upright? I would hate to miss the seams but I dont see any.

Additionally, there is definitely no writing top or bottom of the lenses
Originally Posted by nuts66
IMO - the Ben Franklin and the little bear are probably legit, look on the inside of the Tioga if it's all white on the inside it's not real otherwise u may have a great globe. And I don't believe that Tioga ever had a 1 pc. globe

They are white in my opinion or a tad off white
Attached are back lenses pics of Franklin and Tioga

Attached picture 20190409_081053.jpg
Attached picture 20190409_081048.jpg
Posted By: nuts66 Re: 4 Globes, how do I determine real vs reproduction? - Wed Apr 10 2019 03:06 AM
I didn't know joel repoped the ben franklin's also , so how about the little bear ??
Posted By: T-way Re: 4 Globes, how do I determine real vs reproduction? - Wed Apr 10 2019 12:58 PM
Generally speaking, the backs of old lenses are a bit rough. Like 600 grit sandpaper.

New 'reproduction' lenses are smooth to the touch.

The lettering on the Tioga should look like this. If it's nice and neat, it's a repro.

JIm

Attached picture Color Ref Shot.jpg
Originally Posted by T-way
Generally speaking, the backs of old lenses are a bit rough. Like 600 grit sandpaper.

New 'reproduction' lenses are smooth to the touch.

The lettering on the Tioga should look like this. If it's nice and neat, it's a repro.

JIm

The back of the lenses of Bear are grey and super smooth, even slick

Both Tiogas have clean lettering as pictured but only the 1 piece Tioga is what I would consider smooth on the inside. The Franklin lenses and Tioga lenses are a bit rough, definitely not smooth like a piece a paper. Sounds like the only hope is Franklin lenses being genuine?

Attached picture 20190410_085236.jpg
Attached picture 20190410_085623.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk