Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: David N. Need help identifying gas pump - Sun Sep 08 2019 03:29 PM
Hello, I am new to this site. My neighbor gave me these gas pump parts and I was wondering if someone could help me identify the manufacturer and model. I have not found any markings or anything to help identify it but I was hoping someone would recognize it from the placement of the holes etc. Currently all i have is what you see in the pictures, the two doors and two sides. I am hoping I can use this as a starting point. The doors are just over 52" tall and the sides are almost 55". The opening for the glass is approximately 11 1/2" wide by 16" tall. I have done some research and think I may know what it is but would like the honest opinions of others. Thanks in advance.

Attached picture 0907191416.jpg
Attached picture 0907191406d.jpg
Attached picture 0907191407.jpg
Attached picture 0907191411.jpg
Posted By: cggas Re: Need help identifying gas pump - Sun Sep 08 2019 10:31 PM

Tokheim 39
Posted By: David N. Re: Need help identifying gas pump - Mon Sep 09 2019 01:33 AM
That's what I thought too. Thanks Cggas
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Need help identifying gas pump - Mon Sep 09 2019 03:30 AM
It is not just a 39, it is a 39L-RA. There were four versions of the 39 this is one of them. If you want to see what they looked like when they were made check out this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039l-ra.htm

Jack Sim
Author of the Gas Pump Identification book.
Posted By: David N. Re: Need help identifying gas pump - Mon Sep 09 2019 01:40 PM
Thanks for the specific info Jack. I'm trying to learn all I can about this pump. I am curious about one thing though. Can you tell me the difference between pumps that have the hose connection midway on the pump and mine that looks like it connects at the top?
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Need help identifying gas pump - Mon Sep 09 2019 11:52 PM
Hose connections were all over the pumps, it just depends on who is making it, one company even had a connection in the middle of the front door. That large oval hole in the right/top picture is where the pipe is that the hose connects to.

Years ago I wrote an article for "Check the Oil" magazine about the Tokhein 39 pumps. According to records I have, they made over 125,000 of them, it is probably the easiest pump to find if you are looking for a pump to restore.

If you are planning on finding the parts and restoring the pump, you should get a copy of the Parts Manual that I have listed on my website.http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039l-ra.htm

It shows every part and where it goes.

You might consider just buying a complete one rather than part by part. One sould only cost between $500 and $600, and if that is a hole in the door in the picture in the lower/right above, you are going to need that also.

Years ago I had over 200 pumps in storage and a lot of them were the 39s. I always said if you put two 39s in a shed and waited nine month, there would be three in there.

Jack Sim
Posted By: David N. Re: Need help identifying gas pump - Tue Sep 10 2019 12:54 AM
Jack, thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Very much appreciated.
Posted By: cggas Re: Need help identifying gas pump - Tue Sep 10 2019 01:56 AM

The large oval hole is where the nozzle receiver was located, the smaller hole is where the pipe outlet would be & connects to the hose.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk