Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: denismc pump nozzle polishing mistake? - Fri Nov 29 2019 05:22 AM
good day members. today was my first attempt at polishing a pump nozzle. i am working on a Gilbarco 966 model. I started to remove rough areas with paper until i noticed i was exposing brass underneath the silver colored metal. Probably too aggressive on my part. Did I ruin the nozzle tube? Not sure if nozzles had a silver colored body with a brass tube. Any input appreciated, thanks, Denis
Posted By: model72 Re: pump nozzle polishing mistake? - Fri Nov 29 2019 09:04 AM
You removed the bright nickel plating, exposing the brass underneath. You can leave it as is or pay to have the entire nozzle nickel plated again, but that option could cost more than you care to spend.
Joe
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: pump nozzle polishing mistake? - Fri Nov 29 2019 01:09 PM
Years ago, we always polished our nozzles. It was time consuming and costly. I started noticing that the polished nozzle did nothing in the overall sale of a pump. If anything, it was a cause of concern by buyers worrying about having to polish it later, by hand. I adopted the use of glass bead blasting and clear coating. It puts the nozzle back to the patina that it was when new. If I blast off the nickel, in some areas, it helps with the look of age and use. Try it. You might like the look? If not, you can always blast it again and go back to the polish route. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: BrianH Re: pump nozzle polishing mistake? - Fri Nov 29 2019 03:32 PM
If the nozzle is brass, I personally like the polished look. If it were going on a patina pump that wouldn't look right though. The polished nozzles only look good on fully restored pumps IMO.

BrianH
Posted By: denismc Re: pump nozzle polishing mistake? - Wed Dec 04 2019 02:35 PM
Thanks Joe,Gasman and Brian, info much appreciated!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk