Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: landshark WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 12:47 AM
Ive been on this site for awhile and have never seen anybody post about winterfronts are they not collectable? here are mine

Attached picture IMG_1906.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1907.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1908.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1909.JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 12:49 AM
Nice! You have some real good ones.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 01:02 AM
Great collection, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 01:08 AM
Landshark, Welcome to Oldgas. You have a nice collection. Thank you for sharing!
Posted By: advertologist Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 01:17 AM
you don't see many of those but apparently you did, .. ... cool

that is a awesome display of winterfronts..
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 02:27 AM
I'd say they're pretty collectible.....I see the Mobil ones sell pretty well when they are offered.
The petroliana market doesn't seem to value paper and ephemera items as highly as it should IMO. For example, which is more miraculous to survive from 1938, a porcelain sign or a poster that was meant to go outdoors in an A frame by the road for a month or two, then be pitched? Or in this case, a thin piece of cardboard to go in front of the radiator til it fell apart?
Nice collection btw, thanks for sharing.
Darin
Posted By: muckyp Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 05:05 AM
Maybe it shows my ignorance, or maybe just my deep TX roots, but I’ve never heard of a winterfront until now. But I have to say that I like what I see.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 06:41 AM
A while ago we had a discussion on winterfronts. A few were shown at the time. Now I am from up north. Even further up north than Neil and have never heard of winter fronts. Oh we had them but the weren't nearly as elegant or collectable as the beauties in the OP. It's hard to get excited about our radiator covers made out of cut out corrugated box. At the end of the winter they would look pretty ratty.
Stores even sold ones made of thicker materials that had tab back flaps on them just in case it got warmer than -20 and you could expose the radiator. Those were the good old days.
Here's a link to other ones shown on the site
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=383688
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 01:46 PM
I've never heard of them before either. Those are really cool though.
Posted By: RedHat Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 04:32 PM
Definitely collectable, just rarely worth much unless a very hard to find version. Even then, you’re probably topping out after a couple hundred bucks for the hardest to find. But, if recent FB auctions are anything to go by, they seem to slowly be increasing in value like everything else and are becoming more recognized I guess you could say. I love them personally, display great and look like smalls sign with that long lasting wax coating or whatever was used. You’ve got one of the nicest collections of them I’ve seen! Kudos 👍👍
Posted By: advertologist Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 06:04 PM
here is a couple I have: .. ... cool

Attached picture IMG_3578[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3579[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3580[1].JPG
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 07:27 PM
Some that were offered to me a few years ago...
As you can see, they can be graphic and glossy until Jack Frost gets to them!!

Attached picture DSCF4281.JPG
Attached picture P1010249.JPG
Attached picture DSCF4280.JPG
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 07:59 PM
One more .

Attached picture IMG_2136.JPG
Posted By: Bass Master Re: WINTERFRONTS - Mon Jan 27 2020 10:35 PM
Very cool guys, never seen these before.
Brian
Posted By: landshark Re: WINTERFRONTS - Tue Jan 28 2020 01:38 AM
thanks for the add to group and showing your winterfronts didnt know anything about them when i found first one but it was only $20 so i bought it since then iwhen i buy a sign or pump i ask if they have anything else for sale sometimes they bring one out and throw it in with the deal or they sell it cheap i assume most are nos since they wouldnt survive a winter thanks again
Posted By: sandman325 Re: WINTERFRONTS - Tue Jan 28 2020 12:55 PM
A pretty uncommon one of mine. I believe this to be from the Pocahontas oil company

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Alex Re: WINTERFRONTS - Wed Jan 29 2020 12:12 AM
Love that Havoline one....Here is mine...

Attached picture Texaco Cardboard Radiator Protector.jpg
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: WINTERFRONTS - Wed Jan 29 2020 04:08 AM
Here are mine

Attached picture HPIM9164.JPG
Attached picture HPIM9165.JPG
Attached picture HPIM9168.JPG
Posted By: mapper Re: WINTERFRONTS - Thu Jan 30 2020 02:45 PM
Can anyone tell me what cars some of them were made for? I believe some of them were pretty specific to a model. I also thought some had cutouts to match the radiator for a specific type of car.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: WINTERFRONTS - Thu Jan 30 2020 03:25 PM
In my link above there is some discussion by the fellows of the kind of cars these are made for.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: WINTERFRONTS - Thu Jan 30 2020 05:24 PM
Nice examples guy’s . I live in Michigan where it’s cold and snowy and I have never heard of or seen one in all my travels . Thanks for sharing . Learning every day and that is what I like about this site . People sharing their info and collections .
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk