Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jerry Mitchell Eco paper weight - Thu Jan 30 2020 03:25 AM
Has anyone ever seen one of these old cast iron paper weights?

Attached picture IMG_9425.PNG
Attached picture IMG_9426.PNG
Attached picture IMG_9427.PNG
Attached picture IMG_9428.PNG
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Eco paper weight - Thu Jan 30 2020 05:33 AM
No, but I'll bet there is a line of people who would like to buy this.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Eco paper weight - Thu Jan 30 2020 06:18 AM
In over 30 years a messing with ECOs I have never seen one of these. I have a great deal of ECO literature, but again, nothing about the paper weight.

Great find.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Eco paper weight - Thu Jan 30 2020 11:12 PM
Looks more like a doorstop that a Gas Station would have more use for.
Posted By: Wrench man Re: Eco paper weight - Fri Jan 31 2020 02:51 PM
What are the dimensions? Hard to tell in the size in the photos.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Eco paper weight - Fri Jan 31 2020 09:15 PM
Let's start at the beginning. This is some type of giveaway to promote the Model 19 Series of air meters. The 19 Series was introduced in 1917 when the ECO was a division of the Western Manufacturing Company of Oskaloosa, Iowa. This was not made by the Bennett Pump company. It appears to be made of cast iron, so I doubt very much it s not a door stop. If it was it would weight five pounds or more. It has been suggested this is a paper weight or a giveaway from the early 1920s.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Jerry Mitchell Re: Eco paper weight - Fri Jan 31 2020 09:46 PM
I received the item in the mail today. It is 4.5 inches tall and weighs 23 ounces. I thought there might be some info on the bottom but there was none.

Attached picture IMG_9466.JPG
Posted By: Jerry Mitchell Re: Eco paper weight - Fri Jan 31 2020 10:27 PM
Jack thanks for your input. I have checked around with some collectors ( sent u an email but your reply here is fine) and the only person that said they had seen one is Ron Scobie. He said he saw one a long time ago in Des Moines but it wasn't for sale.
Posted By: bobp73 Re: Eco paper weight - Sat Feb 15 2020 07:16 PM
Ok, not for nothing, but it looks a little rude & crude to be an original. Back in the day things were "finished" & made with pride. Even paper weights...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk