Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Man I can't believe..... - Tue May 12 2020 02:43 AM
I can't believe all the fake stuff still on ebay!! I mean, hasn't every brainless wonder who wants a sign for his garage already bought one?? How can there still be such a market for this stuff?
Posted By: Tankar Re: Man I can't believe..... - Tue May 12 2020 03:17 AM
I agree I dont even look anymore.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Man I can't believe..... - Tue May 12 2020 03:22 AM
Totally agree, they should change their name to hobby lobby.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Man I can't believe..... - Tue May 12 2020 12:13 PM
95% of the listings I see for Mobil and Marathon are new and/or reproduction items. (The few genuine items are generally listed at crazy prices by uniformed sellers!) I can usually roll through a days worth of "new" listings in less than 5 minutes. The saddest part is seeing what people are paying for this junk.....anymore I just shake my head and move on. I've done my part by listing known repros here on OG, but some are so obviously fantasy signs I shouldn't have to list those. Interestingly, those are the ones selling for the most money on Feebay, I just don't get it.
Darin
Posted By: r49th Re: Man I can't believe..... - Tue May 12 2020 01:14 PM
Are people really buying this stuff, or is there a whole lot of shill bidding going on. I've been suspicious of it for quite a while.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Man I can't believe..... - Tue May 12 2020 02:43 PM
It will as I have said for years ruin and contaminate the market in the future.
Posted By: Signage Re: Man I can't believe..... - Thu May 14 2020 07:17 PM
The market is already ruined. So much fake stuff out there it’s hard to tell the difference anymore. I stick to local auctions where I can touch the actual item. If you’re buying online these days you’re just asking for trouble.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Man I can't believe..... - Fri May 15 2020 06:09 PM
I agree with all the comments...however...I will say that I have still found some needles that were still present in the proverbial haystack. For example...I found this Willard Batteries Sign some time back at a decent price. The problem was that it was a flange sign that had been straightened flat. I was able to carefully bend it back to its regular form. So although I agree with the comments I think there are some legitimate finds still to be had.

Attached picture 21FE7E53-24A7-4285-8CFF-791A32193F1B.jpeg
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Man I can't believe..... - Sat May 16 2020 01:01 AM
Check out all the fakes in this link: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/petroliana/overview/auctions
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Man I can't believe..... - Sat May 16 2020 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Coops 427

Wow!!! That is sad!!!! It's one thing today to sift through the fakes as many today have great skills in spotting them. But in the future? Forget about it!!! Hobby will be junk except to an elite few.

My original point to this post wasn't even about the fake so much as the fantasy stuff. I mean how big can that market be? I search Sunoco on ebay every day because you just never know what might show up. And there is just TONS of fantasy ***** out there!!! I just can't imagine who's buying it all.
Posted By: 68air Re: Man I can't believe..... - Sat May 16 2020 02:30 PM
The market for fake signs is apparently quite lucrative. There is a dealer oldjunque74 on ebay that is making a killing selling those fantasy signs. Some of that junk is going for 500 dollars a (re)pop.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Man I can't believe..... - Sat May 16 2020 06:39 PM
I was about to watch this video about this guys machine gun, and lo and behold, he's one of the culprits buying all this face cr@p!! LOL!!!

Attached picture Screen Shot 05-16-20 at 02.37 PM.JPG
Posted By: Stevo Re: Man I can't believe..... - Sun May 17 2020 03:12 AM
How funny, here's a little write up about the guy in the picture

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Bernstein#Career
Posted By: Signage Re: Man I can't believe..... - Sun May 17 2020 03:06 PM
I know oldjunque74. He shows up to large advertising auctions when they have them in my area. He will literally buy up everything. He used to just sprinkle in a few fantasy pieces here and there with the original stuff he’d buy at the auctions, but ever since covid he hasn’t been able to go to auctions and now literally everything he lists is fantasy. He gets crazy money for them too. That’s his wife in all the photos holding the signs.
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Man I can't believe..... - Sun May 17 2020 03:55 PM
Where are all of these fake/repop/fantasy pieces being produced? There seems to be no limit on the quantity being made these days...India?
Posted By: Done4 Re: Man I can't believe..... - Mon May 18 2020 12:18 AM
Country of Fakaramma and the county of Toodabank.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Man I can't believe..... - Mon May 18 2020 11:43 AM
That's the reason I never jumped on the band wagon of emailing buyers, sellers, and Ebay ranting on about fakes. You're trying to save people that don't want rescued and trying to get a company that's making crazy amounts of money off of it to care.

It's a futile endeavor to stop it. I still believe quality originals will hold their value.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Man I can't believe..... - Mon May 18 2020 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Signage
I know oldjunque74. He shows up to large advertising auctions when they have them in my area. He will literally buy up everything. He used to just sprinkle in a few fantasy pieces here and there with the original stuff he’d buy at the auctions, but ever since covid he hasn’t been able to go to auctions and now literally everything he lists is fantasy. He gets crazy money for them too. That’s his wife in all the photos holding the signs.

I've been noticing the same 3-5 bidders usually seem to be bidding up his auctions in every auction.Then when one "newcomer" bids,they all stop bidding.
Look at all the Negative and Neutral feedback he has also. https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/oldjunque74?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560
Posted By: Signage Re: Man I can't believe..... - Mon May 18 2020 09:36 PM
His feedback is horrendous and I am glad people are calling him out on it. I’ve been in the collecting/resale business for years and he used to have another account. It got banned. I’m not sure why but you’re probably right, shill bidding. I actually despise the dude and when eBay booted him back in 2015 I was happy as hell. Then he shows up again with another account. To be honest, I can’t stand to see his face. He’s a disgrace to the hobby and people like him need to be put out of business.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk