Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Paul Bell Removing rust from painted metal sign - Wed Mar 03 2021 02:51 AM
I know this topic has been talked about ALOT, and I've looked at old posts, but was wondering what's the latest thinking on best approach at removing rust from PAINTED metal signs (not porcelain). I guess this would just as easily apply to oil cans, etc.

From what I'm reading, citric acid, Iron out, and Evaporust are possible chemicals to use. What's working the best or is your "go to" approach? I'm going to be working on this sign and its been a while since I've worked on a rusted painted surface. It's very big, like five feet, so soaking it is kind of problematic.

This sign needs some serious TLC, straightening out, reframing, some rust removal, etc.

Thanks!

Attached picture IMG_0151.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Thu Mar 04 2021 06:03 AM
Hi Paul, I’ve done a lot of research on this as well because I have a few signs that I have to do to. It seems like a lot of guys are having real good results with prep and etch. That is what I’m going to try after my research.

I spoke with my friend Brian H on here and he had good results with it as well.

Hopefully some more people will share their thoughts on this topic.

-Steve
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Thu Mar 04 2021 06:39 PM
Thanks Steve. Is this the stuff?

I’ve have some metal prep I use for bare metal panels, makes sense could work.

Attached picture CF776911-9019-4C09-96AC-4F405B8F721A.jpeg
Posted By: BrianH Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Thu Mar 04 2021 07:40 PM
That's it Paul. Spray it on with a spray bottle, set a timer for 10 minutes, then rinse off. I did NOT scrub with it at all. Just let it sit. Rinse and repeat as necessary. If you go too much it will start to fade the colors.

BrianH
Posted By: jecos Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Thu Mar 04 2021 08:05 PM
You can also check out this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQSbWKPB0ko
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Thu Mar 04 2021 08:14 PM
I’ll give it a shot! Thanks for info!
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Fri Mar 05 2021 01:12 AM
Paul, when you get a chance, please show us how your clean-up turns out. I have a similar project to undertake, and am interested in what you're doing. Thanks. John
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sat Mar 06 2021 04:07 AM
Ok so bought the metal prep from Home Depot. Did as recommended, coated with spray bottle and let sit for 10 minutes, then wash off. Repeated an additional two times (no change in rust on third time).

I also tried it on a porcelain sign, seemed to work on that too but also did a lot of scrubbing on that sign.

So anyway seemed to work pretty well, thanks for info!

Attached picture A40B1BF9-2AF3-405A-80E3-49CB1092F7FD.jpeg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sat Mar 06 2021 04:46 AM
Wow Paul..... that looks great. Looks like a whole different sign. Nice job. Thanks for posting the difference.

-Steve
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sat Mar 06 2021 03:37 PM
Wow yeah that looks awesome! It's amazing how nice a sign can look when you pull the rust out of it!!
Posted By: BrianH Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sun Mar 07 2021 07:47 PM
Great results Paul! Glad the sign cleaned up so well. Nice sign.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sun Mar 07 2021 08:33 PM
difference of nite & day, sign has a shine too it now

put the prep & etch on the shopping list - seems too

work great with little labor on the tin signs .. ... cool
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sun Mar 07 2021 11:52 PM
Paul...that is incredible! Unbelievable! Has any of the good paint seem to be affected in any negative way?
Posted By: Tankar Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sun Mar 07 2021 11:53 PM
Going to have to try this stuff. Nice work
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Mon Mar 08 2021 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stephenwarren30
Paul...that is incredible! Unbelievable! Has any of the good paint seem to be affected in any negative way?

Steve, I didnt see any loss of paint color at all, no fading. I imagine different paints on different signs might fade though.

Once the sign dried more, like a day or more, there was some white residue left behind on the formerly rusty areas (not all over, just in some spots). Seems to partially come off using wax and grease remover. Probably a residue from the chemical reaction on the rust.

I wasnt going to matte clear this sign, but think I might, if I do I'll add a picture. I think it'll look better. At this point I've added a cedar frame and did some sign straightening... you can see the white residue on the second picture.

Attached picture 1 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture quaker state - Copy.JPG
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Tue Mar 09 2021 01:21 AM
Paul...I have a Lance sign on a wire rack that I am wondering if this process would help or if mine is beyond help. I am posting a pic...let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Steve

Attached picture D0882176-8142-4118-B7FC-D7CB4CE9F380.jpeg
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Tue Mar 09 2021 02:04 AM
Paul...I have a Lance sign on a wire rack that I am wondering if this process would help or if mine is beyond help. I am posting a pic...let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Steve

My opinion, it would absolutely help. Hard to say what the after look of that lower edge will be. But overall, I think it would brighten it up like the one on the left.
This is my before and after with evaporust

https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=758757
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Tue Mar 09 2021 02:38 AM
Thanks,
Steve

That sign seems to have the same issues mine has. I'd think it work quite well. Steve, glad you added that link, I was curious about the Evaporust, seems to work about the sameas the Prep and Etch stuff from home depot.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Fri Mar 12 2021 07:20 PM
Hi, Paul. What Klean Strip product did you wind up buying? I can only find the Klean Strip CONCRETE Prep & Etch in my area. The jug label indicates it also works on metal, but I'd like to know, before I buy a gallon. Thanks. John
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sat Mar 13 2021 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly-John
Hi, Paul. What Klean Strip product did you wind up buying? I can only find the Klean Strip CONCRETE Prep & Etch in my area. The jug label indicates it also works on metal, but I'd like to know, before I buy a gallon. Thanks. John

John, I ended up buying the "Prep and Etch" from home depot. The stuff in this picture. I had a hard time finding it there, it was with the other chemicals at home depot though, kind of hiding.

Home depots webite is pretty good, it'll tell you if its at your local store or not. I knew there was 5 at my store before I went. Apparently its also at menards.

Attached picture CF776911-9019-4C09-96AC-4F405B8F721A.jpeg
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sat Mar 13 2021 06:47 PM
Thanks for the help, Paul. Menard's only has the CONCRETE & Metal Prep & Etch....not the Phosphoric Prep & Etch. I'll contact Klean Strip on Monday to see if there's a difference in the chemical make-up of these two products. I'll post what I find out here, since their CONCRETE & Metal Prep & Etch seems to be more readily available in the big box stores. John
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sat Mar 13 2021 07:46 PM
Sorry John, didn’t notice the label difference. I did use the concrete and metal etch you passed up. Here’s a picture of the exact product.

Funny the labels are different, but product title same.

Attached picture 04BAE6A6-FBBB-4EBA-B140-238839E361C0.jpeg
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sun Mar 14 2021 09:05 PM
Excellent, Paul. Thanks for going to the trouble of checking your label. This is the product at my local Menard's. So, I won't have to drive the 30 miles to Home Depot!. I appreciate your help. John
Posted By: marathon man Re: Removing rust from painted metal sign - Sun Apr 18 2021 02:08 AM
sand with fine steel wool and clear coat works great .
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk