Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: jeffallen08 Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Tue Mar 16 2021 03:30 AM
I picked up this pump last weekend from a lady who got it off a farm in Idaho. The pump has been repainted 3 times but, the last sign that was on the door seems to be of a Mobile Gasoline Bonneville Racer. I have never seen that before and I am from Utah. Does anyone know the history of that sign, brand, or company? I'm trying to decide what gasoline company to theme the pump when I restore it.

Attached picture pump.jpg
Attached picture sign.jpg
Attached picture IDBadge.jpg
Attached picture mobile gasoline bonneville.jpg
Posted By: jeffallen08 Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Tue Mar 16 2021 03:31 AM
additionally I also noticed that someone has written down the usage numbers on the add glass. I thought that was kind of cool.

Attached picture CompNumbers.jpg
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Tue Mar 16 2021 06:54 AM
Mobile gasoline, Little America Gasoline out of Salt Lake City not Exxon Mobil. Mitch
Posted By: G Jones Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Tue Mar 16 2021 06:05 PM
Nice station lighter too! Bonus
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Tue Mar 16 2021 08:28 PM
Here' s The two versions of the signs and a picture of the globe . Your decal is rare I've only seen one other original on a pump in the wild .

Attached picture IMG_0186.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0188.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0194.JPG
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Tue Mar 16 2021 11:46 PM
I have a MOBILE globe as shown above. However, I'm under the impression the lenses are for a plastic body, not glass. I believe that's also what is indicated in the Globe CD. Just sharing this for what it's worth. John
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Wed Mar 17 2021 12:11 AM
John you are right , these original lenses are not on the correct body . The previous owner found 3 lenses NOS still in the box . He didn't like the plastic body's so he put them on glass globes . I was able to purchase these items and a lot of other things from his son after he passed away . Charles Spence was his name a well known collector in this area . Also a great guy
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Wed Mar 17 2021 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Wasatch Man
John you are right , these original lenses are not on the correct body . The previous owner found 3 lenses NOS still in the box . He didn't like the plastic body's so he put them on glass globes . I was able to purchase these items and a lot of other things from his son after he passed away . Charles Spence was his name a well known collector in this area . Also a great guy
Here is a picture of the third lens that I sold a few years ago.

Attached picture IMG_1548.JPG
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Wed Mar 17 2021 04:34 PM
Thanks for sharing, Peter. Very interesting, and what a nice acquisition for your collection. John
Posted By: jeffallen08 Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Mon Mar 22 2021 10:29 PM
I'm a little confused by your statement Mitch. I had a conversation with Tom Burkland a former salt flat racer and he showed me some old pictures of the Cobb racecar and it had Mobil branding on it.

Has anyone seen an original pump with the Mobile Gasoline globe on it? what was the color scheme of the pump?

Attached picture unnamed.jpg
Attached picture gettyimages-3088155-1024x1024.jpg
Posted By: T-way Re: Tokheim 39SL Mobile Gasoline Bonneville - Mon Mar 22 2021 10:40 PM
Mobil and Mobile are two different companies . . .

The Bonneville car graphic on the lens and decals is just a generic race car.

It has nothing to do with Mobil Gasoline - or any of their sponsored cars.

Later . . .

Jim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk