Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hawkike DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Mon Jun 28 2021 05:23 PM
Some of the younger members have probably never heard of this.

Dated 1963.

Attached picture 7E6BB4B676BA46F5A9CF2BB90473089A.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Mon Jun 28 2021 07:16 PM
I dare you to re-publish that in a magazine. Lol
Posted By: Tankar Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Mon Jun 28 2021 08:14 PM
Wow
Posted By: trifiver Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Mon Jun 28 2021 08:25 PM
I have done that before frown
Posted By: hawkike Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Mon Jun 28 2021 08:57 PM
At one time it was called "weed control!"
Posted By: fuelboy Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Mon Jun 28 2021 11:39 PM
This is the last place Greta will look. I think we're all safe laugh
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 02:39 AM
I thought everybody did that back in the day!
Posted By: minuteman Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 03:22 AM
You buy it at the store but where does it actually come from.
Lol
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 04:31 AM
I dont think anyone took the time to fill the hole with gravel first before dumping the oil in! I'm still not convinced this is really all that horrible to do.
Posted By: huskybob Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 05:11 AM
For those on here who have never seen or experienced using post hole diggers here is a youtube clip. This is about the best one I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCvfEnWe2I&t=3s&ab_channel=FIXITHomeImprovementChannel
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 11:30 AM
On our farm, used motor oil was applied to shiny plow shares to prevent rust. We also poured it on the dirt lanes to control dust. Many uses that to this day, I see no harm in? Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: nes Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 03:36 PM
We also used to pour a little bit of oil on areas of standing water in the spring and summer. It does a nice job of smothering mosquito larvae and reducing mosquito population. grin
Posted By: hawkike Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by gasmansgp
On our farm, used motor oil was applied to shiny plow shares to prevent rust. We also poured it on the dirt lanes to control dust. Many uses that to this day, I see no harm in? Paul www.severngaspumps.com
We also used grease to protect the plow shares.
Posted By: panhandlejack Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Tue Jun 29 2021 08:52 PM
When I moved into my first houseback in the 70's, I dug a hole behind the garage and filled it with oil. I forgot about it for awhile The neighbors daughter saw me leaving one day and told me that when it had rained, the oil was displaced in the hole and flowed downhill. It went straight to her mothers garden. Luckily, her mother didn't hold a grudge. Over time, we all became good friends and I was treated like one of the family.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Wed Jun 30 2021 12:08 AM
On the farm dad would have me pour the used motor oil over the tops of the fence posts. That was over 50 years ago and some of those posts are still solid in the ground.
Tom.
Posted By: Sydney L Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Thu Jul 01 2021 10:52 PM
My dad still does this on the same spot on his property. Been doing it there for over 25 years now...

Sydney
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! - Sun Jul 04 2021 07:21 PM
Did it all the time too when I was growing up. We had a big gully there close by, just poured it over the edge. I bet my Dad still does...

We also rode bicycles and mini bikes with no helmets, rode in cars with no seat belts, rode in the back of pickups sitting on tailgate or standing behind the cab too! And we’re all still here to talk about it LOL!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk