Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: derailer safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 01:05 AM
i have a Socony flange sign i need to ship, around 25"x20". Not huge, but it is heavy. I'm hearing some bad stories about the USPS. What are my other options? thanks for any help!
Posted By: cggas Re: safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 01:08 AM
Build a wooden crate & line it with cardboard & screw the sign down thru it’s mounting holes.
Posted By: derailer Re: safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 01:14 AM
Thanks, who would you use to ship it?
Posted By: advertologist Re: safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by derailer
I'm hearing some bad stories about the USPS. !

Originally Posted by cggas
Build a wooden crate & line it with cardboard & screw the sign down thru it’s mounting holes.

just had a sign shipped from 25 miles away & it came damaged shipped by USPS -

some of the blame would be the sellers poor packaging + the shippers throwing around the freight

as Chris posted, you would be assured it would arrive safe

I've had the most luck with fed ex
Posted By: coltex Re: safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 01:56 AM
I use Fedex ground. Very dependable so far
Posted By: Bill jr Re: safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 12:07 PM
Had a number of globes /signs shipped by FEDEX no problems yet Depends alot on the packaging
Posted By: derailer Re: safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 06:24 PM
Thank you all again for the info!
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: safest way to ship a sign? - Tue Jul 13 2021 08:51 PM
I learned, from here, that when shipping a sign, ya gotta crate it up to withstand being thrown across a room landing on a concrete floor, because it probably will! I use wood and fibre board and usually custom make it all. Sometimes I get used materials from appliance stores. If you do it right, take pics of your work and insure it max, then it does not matter who it's shipped through IMHO.

Attached picture 20210429_182510.jpg
Attached picture DSCF2450a.jpg
Attached picture DSCF5038a.jpg
Attached picture DSCF5632.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk