Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jim Perry Sheet metal/door hinge assembly Bennett 371 - Sun Nov 28 2021 01:47 AM
Nearing restoration completion of a Bennett 371 I disassemble years ago. Can someone help with assembly sequence of the hinges, side panels and doors, please?

1. One side of the door uses an insert to which the hinge attaches. Should a hinge be attached to that insert followed by attaching the insert/hinge assembly to the door or should the insert be attached to the door first and then the hinge attached?

2. Should the sheet metal sides be attached to the frame before the doors are attached or should the doors be attached to the sheet metal sides and then the side/door assembly be attached to the frame?

3. Is the hinge in the picture attached as it should be?

Attached picture Hinge attachment-door panel -labeled.jpg
Attached picture Hinge attachment-side panel -labeled.jpg
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Sheet metal/door hinge assembly Bennett 371 - Sun Nov 28 2021 01:12 PM
Jim, It's been some years since I restored one of these Bennetts. The first thing that I see is that you have the hinges installed backwards. The doors open out which means that the hinges need to curve away from the door opening. If you change them then try to fit the doors, I think your other issues might become clear? Once reversed, the hinges should fit into the door and slide down on the pins. Since the hinge retainers were left on the door during paint, the painted pins might be difficult to get into the hinges? You might have to remove the pin assembly and clean them of paint? Once cleaned and reinstalled, have someone help with hanging the doors. The alignment is tricky for one person. Good luck. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Sheet metal/door hinge assembly Bennett 371 - Sun Nov 28 2021 05:58 PM

Attached picture IpcROs.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk