Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: panhandlejack Cosden reproduction? - Wed Dec 22 2021 09:58 PM
One of these cans comes up for auction every few months. It is hard for me to believe there are several of these cans in this good of shape floating around for sale. What do you think?

Attached picture s-l400-12.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Cosden reproduction? - Wed Dec 22 2021 10:04 PM
Post a photo using "attachment manager" on the submission form
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Cosden reproduction? - Thu Dec 23 2021 02:05 PM
It’s possible they are real if the guy found a case or two. I have a few cases of NOS cans that I might sell individually. But at the same time I understand your point. You need a knowledgeable person to confirm or deny if the can is a repop.
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Cosden reproduction? - Thu Dec 23 2021 08:50 PM
Not that unusual to find a case or so of quart cans
Posted By: panhandlejack Re: Cosden reproduction? - Thu Dec 23 2021 08:57 PM
I agree guys with the finding of a case. The discolorization of the all the cans suggest that were not stored in a case. The same colorization is even all the way around the cans. I bought one and noticed the coloring. I hope they are real, I have doubts though. I have never seen a known example to go by so I can' t be sure. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: coltex Re: Cosden reproduction? - Fri Dec 24 2021 04:52 AM
The color doesn't look right to me. I have a lot of cosden stuff and the colors just look "off" on that can. I really can't tell from the picture though.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Cosden reproduction? - Fri Dec 24 2021 09:17 PM
Here’s one from a Matthews auction that sold. I can’t confirm if it’s real, but it is Matthews (pretty reputable)…

Attached picture 55B4F3EA-4A96-40C7-89B1-F2FA271840B2.jpeg
Attached picture A91A9B68-54FB-4FA7-B749-0D2056AC675A.jpeg
Posted By: panhandlejack Re: Cosden reproduction? - Fri Dec 24 2021 11:16 PM
Except for the small Para Fine emblem, they look similiar. I am not sure the missing emblem means the others are fakes or just a different version. Thanks to all that have replied.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Cosden reproduction? - Sat Dec 25 2021 01:15 AM
I agree. The emblem could just be a different version. The color difference (green) concerns me, but that could be the lighting or the camera.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Cosden reproduction? - Sat Dec 25 2021 03:20 AM
A couple thoughts. I looked at the Ebay listing of the one currently for sale. Unfortunately the resolution is poor when you enlarge them, but the 4th picture would lead me to believe the can is OK. You can usually tell by the seam area if a can is a vinyl or paper wrap reproduction, and that one looks OK to me. I'm not a Cosden collector and know nothing about the brand or this particular can's value, but you say yours is metal and must not be an obvious repro with a vinyl or paper wrap as you have it in hand. I can't see anyone going to the expense of reproducing a handful of lithographed metal cans for a brand or design that isn't a known high dollar graphic can. I mean if you're going to reproduce something, you'd likely want to be faking high dollar cans, not $100 cans. Just my opinion...
Darin
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk