Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hawkike TEN GROMMET SIGN - Thu Dec 23 2021 05:41 AM
I have a porcelain sign that measures app.26" by 18" and it has ten grommets for mounting.If it was made to be mounted in a stationary place one would think 4-6 grommets would suffice.

Since it has ten could one surmise it was made to be mounted on perhaps a truck or semi/trailer?

Thoughts?
Posted By: jecos Re: TEN GROMMET SIGN - Thu Dec 23 2021 03:35 PM
I have 2 signs shown below that were definitely used on vehicles - one was a milk sign used on horse-drawn carts and the other was a truck sign for Associated Transport. They both have a high number of mounting holes which I've always assumed was because they needed to tolerate the extra vibration or wind forces. The milk sign has 24 bolt holes spaced about 6" apart.

But I think it would help if you showed a picture or at least described the subject matter. A lot of the older porcelain signs seemed to be produced with an excessive amount of bolt holes. The 36" x 12" porcelain model tobacco signs, for example, had 10 mounting holes also.

Attached picture whiting_sign_comp.jpg
Attached picture whiting_truck-4.jpg
Attached picture at_truck_sign.jpg
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: TEN GROMMET SIGN - Thu Dec 23 2021 03:50 PM
That was a horse drawn wagon crash! How did that happen? Stepped on the tail instead pull on the reins! Great signs btw and picture.
Posted By: hawkike Re: TEN GROMMET SIGN - Thu Dec 23 2021 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by jecos
I have 2 signs shown below that were definitely used on vehicles - one was a milk sign used on horse-drawn carts and the other was a truck sign for Associated Transport. They both have a high number of mounting holes which I've always assumed was because they needed to tolerate the extra vibration. The milk sign has 24 bolt holes spaced about 6" apart.

But I think it would help if you showed a picture or at least described the subject matter. A lot of the older porcelain signs seemed to be produced with an excessive amount of bolt holes. The 36" x 12" porcelain model tobacco signs, for example, had 10 mounting holes also.

Good input,thanks.

Attached picture DSCN1480.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: TEN GROMMET SIGN - Thu Dec 23 2021 04:33 PM
lumber sign I once owned,

sold in 2020 auction for 2400. .. ... cool

Attached picture 1ac.PNG
Posted By: hawkike Re: TEN GROMMET SIGN - Thu Dec 23 2021 10:44 PM
This one came from a truck,"20 MULE TEAM" about 18-20 grommets. Made a wood frame for it later.

Framed.

Attached picture borax.jpg
Attached picture DSCN0893.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk