Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: spencer Olympic Gasoline - Fri Aug 26 2022 05:16 AM
I stripped the paint of a Wayne 70, I just purchased, and found an Olympic Ethyl decal. One with the greyhound dog stretching out across the decal. The pump was in Eastern Washington, so I was wondering if this was a West coast company. The Gas Globe disk doesn't show any company history. I was wondering if anyone has any background on this company. Thanks Spencer
Posted By: advertologist Re: Olympic Gasoline - Fri Aug 26 2022 07:30 AM
Olympic was a by product of Gilmore Oil Company .. ... cool

Attached picture 1aagilolysta.PNG
Attached picture 1aaolygas.PNG
Attached picture 1aaolygas1.PNG
Posted By: spencer Re: Olympic Gasoline - Fri Aug 26 2022 06:35 PM
Thanks Randy. I think I will strip the other side and see how it comes out. My decal is like the pump in the center. Killer Olympic globe.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Olympic Gasoline - Sat Aug 27 2022 12:39 AM
Not Gilmore Oil. The photo of the Gilmore Serve Yourself Service Station, is late 40s-50s. It was part of the Farmers Market business (which Gilmore family still owns). The reason Olympic (The Progress Company) is being sold at the 21 pumps is because Gilmore Oil was out of business, having been acquired by Mobil in 1945...

The other photo posted shows the Olympic brand of the Olympic Refining Co. The greyhound is a whippet logo. Whippet had been a gas brand of Olympic. I believe Midway brand gas was also.

Ad from the 8.11.1948 LA Times...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Olympic Gasoline - Sat Aug 27 2022 01:09 AM
Olympic globe from a 2010 Matthews auction...

Posted By: GILMORE Re: Olympic Gasoline - Sat Aug 27 2022 01:12 AM
Olympic Ethyl globe from a 2021 Route32 auction...

Should match your decal...

Posted By: advertologist Re: Olympic Gasoline - Sat Aug 27 2022 06:23 AM
[quote=GILMORE] photo of the Gilmore Serve Yourself Service Station, is late 40s-50s. It was part of the Farmers Market business (which Gilmore family still owns). The reason Olympic (The Progress Company) is being sold at the 21 pumps is because Gilmore Oil was out of business, having been acquired by Mobil in 1945...

another photo of Gilmore Serve Yourself Station with different signage .. ... cool

was this the same station as above ?

Attached picture 1agm.PNG
Attached picture 1aagil.PNG
Posted By: spencer Re: Olympic Gasoline - Sat Aug 27 2022 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I found that the globe lenses were flat. In the picture with the Tokheim 39s, It looks like the pumps are painted a dark color. My Wayne 70 has green sides and cream doors that kind of match the decal background. Thanks again..
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Olympic Gasoline - Sat Aug 27 2022 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by advertologist
another photo of Gilmore Serve Yourself Station with different signage .. ... cool

was this the same station as above ?

Different stations located around the 'Gilmore Island' block....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk