Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Tommy2268 Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 01:48 AM
I recently purchased a Firestone One-Stop Service porcelain sign from my local antique shop. After looking over the sign prior to purchase, I was certain the sign is original. However, upon returning home, I am having second thoughts. I figured I would ask the forum for some help.

Attached picture Front.JPG
Attached picture Back.JPG
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 01:56 AM
Return it for a refund- not an antique, nor a legit sign.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 02:04 AM
Hope U didn't pay alot for it.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 02:06 AM
Looks like the rest of the fantasy junk on the market today......
Posted By: Tommy2268 Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 02:14 AM
Figures .... I appreciate ya'll's help
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 02:47 AM
Sorry. No good. If they advertised it as old, demand a refund.
Posted By: Tommy2268 Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 03:09 AM
Can ya'll help me out and tell me where I messed up and bought a fake?
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 04:13 AM
Don't. mean to be judgmental, but scammers abound, and buyers need to do their due diligence before making a purchase. in 11years of OG participation, i have never seen this sign before. As Speedracer suggests get you money back...,..
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tommy2268
Can ya'll help me out and tell me where I messed up and bought a fake?

First...compare the sign you want to buy to a known original.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 04:03 PM
do your homework - when in doubt "don't" -

mistakes are costly but part of the learning process .. ... cool
Posted By: JackJ Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Mon Dec 12 2022 04:58 PM
A quick search of the net for "Firestone one-stop service sign" brings up a dozen or more comparable signs with similar wear. - Jack J.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Tue Dec 13 2022 12:25 AM
It’s a super common reproduction with a white back. When they fake rust these they just throw them on top of each other to dry. You can actually see the ring from the other sign that was against it on the back.

But other than clues like that, a lot of it is experience.
Posted By: Tommy2268 Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Tue Dec 13 2022 05:46 AM
Although I feel like a dummy, I appreciate all the feedback.
Posted By: kybred76 Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Tue Dec 13 2022 04:50 PM
These are generally signs to look for:
Orange rust, white under the chips, damage only around the grommet holes, modern font, rings on the back from drying during sign making process.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Firestone One-Stop Service Sign help - Tue Dec 13 2022 11:53 PM
Hey Tommy…you are not alone…I was on a trip to Colorado and saw what I thought was a legit Conoco 30 inch porcelain. Like you, when I got home I started having doubts and sure enough it was a fake. I had that quezy sinking feeling. It happens to the best of us. I agree with others that Old Gas has helped me since. You will be okay!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk