Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: toplescuda Question about a fry 117 pump - Tue Dec 20 2022 09:55 PM
I have bought few repo parts for my pump I'm redoing. As a lot of it was either missing or just to bad to reuse
Mainly the parts above the jar base
One of the parts I bought is a cap of sorts that has wings
I have always assumed it went onto the non threaded end of the u shape tube. But I have recently been told that it goes ont9 the bras regulator tube??
Being mine was missing. I have no ideal

I also thought that on top of the brass tube. Was a flat disc that went onto it. With a coupler that held it to the tube

If anyone can share some insight. And perhaps some detailed pics. Would be very helpfull

Attached picture Screenshot_20221220-150753_Samsung Internet.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20221220-150921_Samsung Internet.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20221220-152933_Samsung Internet.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20221220-153024_Messages.jpg
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Tue Dec 20 2022 09:59 PM
Pic of the wing part that I asked about in first question

Attached picture Screenshot_20221220-155748_Samsung Internet.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Tue Dec 20 2022 10:32 PM
I have no idea what that winged part is you bought, and I thought I knew Mae Wests as I've restored like 5 of them over the years. That first picture is mine from ebay, if you need that part I can give you a deal off ebay. That goes on top of the brass tube like you have in the pictures but you need the tapered part.
Posted By: Morgan Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Wed Dec 21 2022 12:54 AM
Your winged piece goes on the fill pipe and had two floats that would indicate "to car" or "to storage"
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Wed Dec 21 2022 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Morgan
Your winged piece goes on the fill pipe and had two floats that would indicate "to car" or "to storage"
That makes sense, I've never had that in any of the ones I've restored. Seems highly "skippable".
Posted By: Morgan Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Wed Dec 21 2022 03:00 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a repo of the float body. Originals were hollow with a cork insert that would float, thus, changing from car to storage. The recessed area on this one is where the message would appear. This photo is one I recast years ago and never got around to machining for the cork insert.

I've never had a Fry 17 or 117 that didn't have these. Maybe a regional thing?
Posted By: model72 Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Wed Dec 21 2022 03:30 AM
The 17s did not all have the winged attachment. The cap you purchased has not been machined fully to accept the float attachments. My 17 had the flat cap like the one pictured above.
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Wed Dec 21 2022 04:01 PM
This is the floats that were used on the part that you call the wings. They would have a small hole on each side to mount them with a cotter pin.

Attached picture Fry Floats1.jpg
Attached picture Fry floats2.jpg
Attached picture Fry Floats3.jpg
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Thu Dec 22 2022 07:09 PM
Anyone have a clear pic of the floats mounted on the wings and the wing part mounted as in operational use?
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Thu Dec 22 2022 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I have no idea what that winged part is you bought, and I thought I knew Mae Wests as I've restored like 5 of them over the years. That first picture is mine from ebay, if you need that part I can give you a deal off ebay. That goes on top of the brass tube like you have in the pictures but you need the tapered part.

I think I could probably make the tappered part. Or at least something to mount it to the brass
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Fri Dec 23 2022 02:01 PM
you showed the part that holds the floats just need two small holes drilled in it
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Fri Dec 23 2022 10:40 PM
Does anyone repo the floats?
Posted By: Stevo Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sat Dec 24 2022 12:02 AM
Here is the original part from a 17

Attached picture 8F3B149C-591B-44DA-9274-823504D73535.jpeg
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sat Dec 24 2022 04:23 PM
The floats are mounted on the inside of the hollow part that says car and they will float up and it will say storage. Its a flat cork thats mounted in the hollow part. These were on
5 Gallon Fry Pumps
Posted By: Morgan Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sun Dec 25 2022 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by gaspumpfrank
The floats are mounted on the inside of the hollow part that says car and they will float up and it will say storage. Its a flat cork thats mounted in the hollow part. These were on
5 Gallon Fry Pumps

It's a flat cork with a thin aluminum piece covering one face. The wording was screened on the aluminum. If I remember correctly, the aluminum was attached at the corners with short brass tacks or nails.
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sun Dec 25 2022 05:10 AM
I guiess I do not understand the reason for the float. I mean ya can read the "to car" no matter what. Right?
So why not just mount it solid? Also not understanding the reason to even have the wording to car either...
Posted By: model72 Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sun Dec 25 2022 05:39 AM
You are correct To Car was pointless since To Car was always visible until the volume of gas exceeded the top of the regulator pipe. Then the cork float raised up to show To Storage since excess fuel was then flowing back to the underground tank.
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sun Dec 25 2022 09:09 AM
Where did it say to storage?
Posted By: Morgan Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sun Dec 25 2022 02:41 PM
when the cylinder was filled to capacity, the cork would float and expose the TO STORAGE message.

There was a small brass rod that protruded from the bottom of the cork that would push the cork upward when the fill tube was lowered to where the cylinder couldn't be filled and the TO STORAGE message was visible again. I'll try to get photos
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sun Dec 25 2022 05:37 PM
Here is a pic of the inside of the float, the cork is mounted on the back side of the thin piece of metal. Will float up and down. Car to Storage

Attached picture Fry Floats 4.jpg
Attached picture Fry Floats5.jpg
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Mon Dec 26 2022 12:54 AM
So there is a plate that slides up in down inside the float box? Hmmm
That's awsome but being that a lot of people my self included. Never seen or knew existed if.i ever located a set they would be out of my price range to obtain
Pretty cool
To bad someone with a setup on a pump. Couldn't do a vid and post on you tube detailing it. As I'm sure many that never knew was such a thing. Would find it a wealth of information
Posted By: Morgan Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Mon Dec 26 2022 02:15 PM
Rereading this thread, I only noticed one person (other than you) that had never seen the floats. My pump is about 75 miles from me or I'd get photos and video. I may be over that way this week.
Posted By: JackJ Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Mon Dec 26 2022 09:50 PM
Net image. Doesn't show much. - Jack J.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Fry 117 top.jpeg
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Tue Dec 27 2022 01:29 AM
I'm sorry lol
I have searched online as much as possible. I have never seen a clear pic of inside the jar.
And harder to look for something that up to this point didn't even know was a thing
I did try find some pics showing the flat disc thing. That I found on ebay. I really liked but will have to make a missing part for it
Thank you everyone for all the help you have been providing
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Tue Dec 27 2022 01:21 PM
all of my fry 17 s have the floats
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Tue Dec 27 2022 08:46 PM
Have any clear pics showing them in detail mounted?
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Wed Dec 28 2022 01:25 PM
Ill take some today
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sat Dec 31 2022 11:17 AM
Did you ever sell the part on ebay?
Posted By: toplescuda Re: Question about a fry 117 pump - Sat Dec 31 2022 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Paul did you sell the part on ebay?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk