Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Signs-R-Us removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Sun Mar 29 2009 11:10 PM
What is the best way to remove rust stains from a porcelain sign?
Thank you
Bob
Posted By: 66phillips Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Sun Mar 29 2009 11:19 PM
I use OOOO steel wool and cleaner wax. Sometimes rubbing compound. If you have stains that are etched in, it's a different deal.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Sun Mar 29 2009 11:26 PM
I have used a "bathroom cleanser" ment for porcelain. I use a soft bronze (toothbrush) wirebrush and lots of clean water, drying immediately. Wax afterwards.
Posted By: Signs-R-Us Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Sun Mar 29 2009 11:42 PM
I have tried rubbing compound but it does seem that some stains are etched in the porcelain.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Sun Mar 29 2009 11:43 PM
I use a metal etch/cleaner and fine steel wool. It does not hurt the porcelain and bleaches out the rust stains.
Posted By: petropumps Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Sun Mar 29 2009 11:48 PM
I don't know how big of a sign you're talking about, but I'll share a little trick I use during pump restorations for the porcelain faceplates. I soak them in water that has Iron Out mixed in it...Iron Out is a cleaning product. It does very well on rust and even gets the rust from the spider cracking that sometimes occurs in the porcelain and is hard to get out w/steel wool or rubbing compound. I also use S.O.S. pads which work well. Good luck!
I use to use rubbing compound but that seemed to dull the finish afterwards. Lately I have been using bug and tar remover from turtle wax and puttung it on one of those scrubbing pads you can attach to your drill and it has worked better than any other method I have tried and gives the porcelain a nice sheen and then apply a coat of car wax looks great afterwards.
Posted By: roadrelics Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Mon Mar 30 2009 12:12 AM
Bar Keepers Friend & Zud are both cleansers for porcelain sinks & work great on signs......you can find them at any drug store or walmart etc.
Posted By: chrisbowers Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Mon Mar 30 2009 12:45 PM
I'll second barkeepers friend. Just don't let it sit on too long or it can dull the finish. Work into a paste with some water,let sit 2-3 minutes then rub with 0000 steel wool. I got some etched in water staining out the other day in a couple minutes with some.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Mon Mar 30 2009 12:56 PM
Meguiars Medium-Cut Cleaner and a rag does the trick for me...Ray Seider came into the auction this weekend and didn't recognize some of the signs he had consigned! We clean every sign in the auction just to make sure they have their "best face" on. He asked me what I used to make his stuff look so good but I never got the chance to show him....
Posted By: Alex Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Mon Mar 30 2009 02:22 PM
My wife just found Bar Keepers Friend in a liquid.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: removing rust stains from a porcelain sign? - Mon Mar 30 2009 09:39 PM
After the stains are taken care of I use Howards feed and wax which polishes up porcelain good
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk