Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: fuelboy Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Mon Nov 30 2009 06:03 PM
I have removed the 300lb. pump assy. from a Bennett 966. It still has a bit if residual (and very old) fuel in it. What can I do with this? I'm thinking it's scrap metal. Do I have to take it further apart and remove any fuel in it first? Any other options?

Thanks folks!
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Mon Nov 30 2009 06:10 PM
I would dump the old fuel out into a bucket as good as you can then recycle the old fuel with your waste oil if you have any. I bring our pump guts to the scrap recycling plant. Scrap is not worth much right now.

Ryan
Posted By: keithia Re: Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Mon Nov 30 2009 08:08 PM
That is what I do also. Make sure if you have any copper piping out of the pump to sell that separate to the salvage yard and also the electric motor. You can get 5-8 bucks for the electric motor and a couple bucks a pound for clean copper.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Mon Nov 30 2009 11:06 PM
Or keep the motor if it runs to power a buffer/grinder.
I have one that a friend wired to run either direction hooked up to a 9" metal lathe. It gets warm after 3-4 hrs, hasn't quit after 10yrs of use.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Mon Nov 30 2009 11:33 PM
There are some brass parts inside the pumping unit and
1 LB ea, pistons in the meter.
The big brass pistons from the meter make interesting paper weights, door stops, deadfall snare mousetraps, etc, etc.
You can always buff them w/ the buffer you make w/ the motor.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Tue Dec 01 2009 01:59 AM
I agree with everyone here. The buffer motor is a great idea Db smile
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Thu Dec 03 2009 08:07 PM
Good ideas, thanks! Not sure if the motor works or not but I figure I'll have to disassemble the whole thing to get the fuel out and scrap it. Who doesn't like taking stuff apart anyway?
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Bennett 966 Pump disposal - Thu Dec 10 2009 09:05 PM
Ok, I kept the motor - it was clean and does run. Took everything else to the scrapyard and got $15 for it and that included the nuts & bolts.

Does make you feel better knowing you're recycling too.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk