Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: swaz602 Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Thu Apr 15 2010 10:09 PM
Hello. I just got a Tokheim 39 Short dated (I think) 8-48. It was restored to Blue Sunoco around 1985. The paint job was not the best and is now peeling. I disassembled it today and took the skins to be stripped. I want to keep the pump outside, so I'm going to have it powdercoated and restored to Texaco. While the pump is apart, I'm going to clean the computer and clean some minor rust from the frame.

Here are my questions (for now):

1) From pictures I've seen, the frame and internal bracketry look like they are primed in brown. Is this correct?

2) How do you set the gas price on these pumps? I can't get the dials to move.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Thu Apr 15 2010 10:21 PM
WELCOME TO OLDGAS
I haven't seen any that were primered in brown, but a lot were primered w/ red [maybe yours is a cooked red, from Az. Heat!].

Soak the Veeder Root in 5 gal bucket of Simple Green for a couple of days. Price is set inside the drum underneath, sheet metal cover should slide around to access the setting pins.
Posted By: gasalleykid Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Thu Apr 15 2010 10:27 PM
I just finished a short Tok. 39 and am in the middle of working on a tall 39.

1. The frame on both of mine were originally red.
2. The lower half of your computer ( the round part that looks like a can ) should rotate giving you access to the adjustment pins or levers to set the price. However you may need to hose the whole thing down with penetrating oil to free all the gears and linkage up. Both of mine were frozen up but with a good bath of WD-40 and then a wash down with Simple Green and water everything started working just fine.

All else fails contact Joe Yocom ( jkyocom ) He is the V.R. computer wizard on this forum! crazy

Welcome and enjoy! grin
Posted By: gasalleykid Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Thu Apr 15 2010 10:29 PM
This is a picture of the lower half of the V.R. computer with the can removed so you can see the adjustments.

Attached picture 100_1937.jpg
Posted By: gasalleykid Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Thu Apr 15 2010 10:57 PM
Psst...Dick makes real nice decals for your computer that show how to set the dials. wink

Attached picture 100_2050.jpg
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 12:39 AM
Thanks for the info. Mine is blue inside but I figured someone had painted the frame along with the blue exterior. I thought I had seen some pictures with what looked like reddish brown primer on the inside.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 02:11 AM
The variator is actually the brain of your computer. That is where ALL the calculating is done.
The range arms transfer the action of the cone gear to the cluster on top.
All three gearing systems; 10 cent, 1 cent 9/10 cent, take their info from the cone and simultaniously rotate the cluster.
All three calculations converge at the top gear.....it is an amazing setup that has NEVER been improved on since 1932 because it has never needed it.
Mechanical computers still use the same setup but w/ 4 range arms ...a 4th to accomidate the "dollar" mode.

This is WHAT & HOW you get w/ 4 revolutions of the cone gear., at a 42 9/10 setting
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 02:17 AM
You would need a 1945...possibly a 49 decal
Post a pic of the spring side of your computer and I can tell you what year it was introduced.
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 03:38 AM
I will post pics as soon as I can. The lower part is the type with the pins. I can get the gears to move somewhat but not enough to contact the cone gear. In fact, as i move the cent gear to the left and up (decreasing the amount) the arm hits one of the posts that hold the can together.

I should add that the computer is relatively clean and appears to be undamaged.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 03:57 AM
If you post the serial number, I will be able to tell you what year your 39 was built, and possibly the month it was built.

If you would like to look at literature pertaining to your pump go to:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20pumps.htm

If you think you might be in the market for another pump, be sure to have a copy of my book with you.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 04:02 AM
Forget working on the VR & pump & get the Fence built ! Pumps MULTIPLY faster than Rabbits & it Doesn't take a mating pair to get out of hand !
LOL
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 04:06 AM
The range arms need to be turned while raising or lowering.Where the range arm goes through the variator top plate could be stuck.
There are spring loaded pins under the price wheels that will stick too,keeping the wheels and arms from turning.
On the outside price wheels there are gears that can stick too.
That would be the F & B wheel on one side and the E & A on the other....C wheels are always in the center.
The price wheels could be stuck too.
If all that suff on top won't turn the range arms won't turn
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 03:21 PM
Here are some photos of the computer and the pump ID plate:

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. The information on the ID plate is hand-written and is as follows:

Model: 39
Type: LPA
Serial No.: 934962 8-48

Am I correct in assuming that the 8-48 is the date of manufacture?

Jack: Where can I get a copy of your book?

Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 03:22 PM
LOL! I already have enough collections. All I need is to get hooked on something else!

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Forget working on the VR & pump & get the Fence built ! Pumps MULTIPLY faster than Rabbits & it Doesn't take a mating pair to get out of hand !
LOL
Posted By: gasalleykid Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 03:24 PM
It's wise to sink the fence a few feet into the ground as well. These pumps send out under ground runners like bamboo! crazy In less than 90 days my one turned into four, Maybe I'll try some Roundup grin
LOL
Posted By: DIESEL Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: swaz602
LOL! I already have enough collections. All I need is to get hooked on something else!

LOL
laugh ...ROFLMAO. laugh ..."LOL".. laugh ......OH....... IT'S ALL OVER BUDDIE,THE HOOK HAS BEEN SET wink !YOU CAN THROW THE TOWEL IN ON WHATEVER ELSE YOU WERE COLLECTING,I HOPE YOUR BETTER HALF LIKES THE SMELL OF GAS! laugh laugh laugh....I HAVE TO STASH CASH "WEEKLY" JUST TO SUPPLY MY HABIT,AND HIDE IT FROM MY GAS ENEMY IN THE HOUSE!BUT SHE'LL GET OVER ,THEY ALWAYS DO!OHHHHH BY THE WAY,WELCOME TO OLD GAS!NEAT PUMP,NOW YA JUST NEED A TALL TOKE 39, NEXT TO YOUR SHORT TOKE! "IMAGINE THAT"LOL TAKE CARE!
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 11:34 PM
That is a model #49 computer
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Fri Apr 16 2010 11:57 PM
Thanks jkyocom. Does that mean it was introduced in 1949? I think that my pump is 8-48, maybe it is not original to that pump.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 12:18 AM
Nozzles & VR's were changed out regularly as they wore out w/ usage.
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 12:36 AM
Nozzles & VR's were changed out regularly as they wore out w/ usage.

Of course. I should have thought of that.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 01:20 AM
I think Veeder Root introduced it in late 1948 sometime.
Every model crankback # seems to coincide w/ a specific year.
It would make sense for it to be manufactured in 48 and called a 49.
A 36 came out around 36
a 45 came out around 45 and a 49 came out around 49
I have seen no literature for the 32-33-34-35 models

This is the first model that came in the 1932 wayne 40.
In order for it to come out in 32 it had to be in production in 31. I have rebuilt almost 1000 computers and I have only seen about 5 of these

1932-1933 Wayne 40 were the only computing pumps w/ veeder root computers at that time.Prototypes? I have yet to find any other pumps that used them prior to 1934. After 34 most companies were using them.
By 36 almost all pump companies that were still in business were using them....by then they had expanded them to 12" and added price wheels & pointers.
They had a reliable computer,that the price was easy to change and became the standard for calculating gas purchases.
The crankback was made from 32-56 as far as I know.

.....I have two 49 computers rebuilt and in stock right now
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 02:06 AM
So, what color was the framework inside a Toke 39? Texaco red or primer red? What about the pipes and stuff behind the viewer glass? I've got all the rust cleaned off and it's ready for paint. I just wish the skins were so easy.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 05:04 AM
It's your pump & very few others will ever see the insides, paint it as you wish.
db
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 05:15 AM
Welcome aboard. I like 39's and if you have kids let them paint the insides. Nobody sees it and maybe it will get them interested in the hobby too.
Mike
Posted By: DIESEL Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: swaz602
So, what color was the framework inside a Toke 39? Texaco red or primer red? What about the pipes and stuff behind the viewer glass? I've got all the rust cleaned off and it's ready for paint. I just wish the skins were so easy.
SWAZ I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH D.B ON THIS ONE, ALL THE TIME CONSUMING PARTS OF MY TOKE PROJECT WERE ALL THE DIFFERENT COLORS ,AND PAINT I TESTED, IT WAS MY FIRST PUMP,AND A VERY "VALUABLE" LESSON LEARNED,TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH ,,,BUT I WISH I WOULD HAVE STUCK TO PRIMER,WITH THE GUTS OF THAT PUMP,IT WOULD HAVE SAVED TONS OF "TIME" AND MONEY ,ANYHOW MINE WAS THAT SAME COLOR RED "RUSTY RED" V.R AND ALL,WHEN I DISCOVERED MINE! HERE ARE SOME PICS FOR YA! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PUMP!

Attached picture 2TO.jpg
Attached picture 2gil.jpg
Attached picture 5gil.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sat Apr 17 2010 02:10 PM
Inside of pump is a good place to use up left over paint from last project[s] & to hone your skills before doing outside panels.
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sun Apr 18 2010 03:16 PM
Thanks for the advice and the great pics. I like to get things as accurate as I can, plus having the inside nicely restored will add some interest to the piece. I only plan on doing one of these, so I want to make it nice.
Posted By: swaz602 Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sun Apr 18 2010 03:21 PM
That is a beautifully resotred VR. I just got mine cleaned up, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as that one.

Originally Posted By: jkyocom
I think Veeder Root introduced it in late 1948 sometime.
Every model crankback # seems to coincide w/ a specific year.
It would make sense for it to be manufactured in 48 and called a 49.
A 36 came out around 36
a 45 came out around 45 and a 49 came out around 49
I have seen no literature for the 32-33-34-35 models

This is the first model that came in the 1932 wayne 40.
In order for it to come out in 32 it had to be in production in 31. I have rebuilt almost 1000 computers and I have only seen about 5 of these

1932-1933 Wayne 40 were the only computing pumps w/ veeder root computers at that time.Prototypes? I have yet to find any other pumps that used them prior to 1934. After 34 most companies were using them.
By 36 almost all pump companies that were still in business were using them....by then they had expanded them to 12" and added price wheels & pointers.
They had a reliable computer,that the price was easy to change and became the standard for calculating gas purchases.
The crankback was made from 32-56 as far as I know.

.....I have two 49 computers rebuilt and in stock right now
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sun Apr 18 2010 03:53 PM
"I only plan on doing one of these," LOL
I can't count how many times I've heard or SAID that.
Posted By: Roger Loupias Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sun Apr 18 2010 04:21 PM
Dont forget about about always seeing your best friend at times slipping away. You know, those Ben Franklins.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Sun Apr 18 2010 06:36 PM

Digital camera does the wheels no justice...lines are much more cleaner than that.
Posted By: Gilbarco Re: Newbie with questions about Tokheim 39 - Thu Dec 26 2013 10:11 AM
I really want to buy decals. Can You send me some contact info? zzxina@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Andrč
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk