Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 38ChevyPickup Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Fri Aug 06 2010 10:44 PM
Can anyone tell me how to remove paint from the two different tags on the outside of my pump without damaging the tags? Does anyone know how to idenfify the age of the pump, is there a date somewhere? And the all illusive nozzle, I have read all kinds of post on this site about nozzles and what they should cost ($25-$35) can anyone give me a lead on where to purchase a Tokheim nozzle for my pump for that price? and Ebay is crazy high. Any help on any of my questions would be great as I am just starting out. Hopefully my pictures attached
Thanks, Mike

Attached picture Tokheim received 8-6-2010 0022.jpg
Attached picture Tokheim received 8-6-2010 0032.jpg
Attached picture Tokheim received 8-6-2010 0052.jpg
Posted By: badgas Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Fri Aug 06 2010 11:28 PM
Paint thinner and a scouring pad to remove the paint. There might be a date on the Tokheim tag. However, I believe that it's a late 40s-early 50s pump.

There was also a tall version of this pump.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Fri Aug 06 2010 11:40 PM
after you clean them as badgas said,you will have to repaint them.i take flat black and then after it dries go over with fine sandpaper on a sanding block.the raised numbers then come up and looks like new.repros are also available.
Posted By: 38ChevyPickup Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Sat Aug 07 2010 12:06 AM
Thanks for the advice, I was trying to remove the paint without having to repaint the original plates, thought there might be some kind of secret since lots of people have already restored these old pumps. Any other tips on removing the paint, or how to date the pump, or purchase a nozzle?
Posted By: mrbill Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Sun Aug 08 2010 06:12 PM
FYI: The "tag" under the nozzle holder in the 1st photo isnt a tag. Its a smooth piece of SS that protects the paint from the nozzle handle.
Posted By: 38ChevyPickup Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Sun Aug 08 2010 06:15 PM
Thanks for that information Mrbill, I did not know that.
Posted By: keithia Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Mon Aug 09 2010 02:09 PM
I have a brass Tokheim nozzle with a flex spout for sale if you are interested.

Keith
Posted By: DIESEL Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Mon Aug 09 2010 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
after you clean them as badgas said,you will have to repaint them.i take flat black and then after it dries go over with fine sandpaper on a sanding block.the raised numbers then come up and looks like new.repros are also available.
"BRILLIANT IDEA" HEY WELCOME TO OLD GAS THATS A NEAT PAINT JOB ON YOUR 39 ,LOOKS GOOD JUST HOW IT SITS!
Posted By: keithia Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Tue Aug 10 2010 01:35 AM
Here is the nozzle. Tokheim 973. $45.00 plus shipping.

Attached picture IMG_5237.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5239.JPG
Posted By: 38ChevyPickup Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Tue Aug 10 2010 02:08 AM
Thanks for the good comments the other side looks even better the glass is still in it, just need a hose, nozzle and globe.
Posted By: 38ChevyPickup Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Tue Aug 10 2010 02:20 AM
Keith, that is a beautiful brass Tokheim nozzle. Not sure that is the correct spout for my 39. Dont suppose you have one with a solid nozzle? The script on the side is just wonderful, please let me know if you have a solid nozzle one? Just started looking and will consider this if it is still available and the correct one does not come up soon.
Thanks for the reply, you are the first to show me one.
Mike
Posted By: keithia Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Wed Aug 11 2010 12:59 AM
Here is the only other Tokheim nozzle I have. It is a 963 with a long spout and a hook. I do have some aluminum and other brass nozzles but they are OPW's and Buckeyes.

Attached picture IMG_5243.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5244.JPG
Posted By: 38ChevyPickup Re: Picked up my Tokheim 39 today - Thu Aug 12 2010 12:22 AM
That too is a great looking nozzle and I dont mean to be so picky but not really looking for a nozzle with a hook. Thanks for both offers and keep me in mind if you find either an aluminum or brass 1063 or 1069. I think that is the correct nozzle for my pump.
Thanks again,
Mike
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk