Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Sun Nov 07 2010 06:04 PM
Picked up a couple old dealership neons that were painted from the thirtys or 40's. My problem is that you can't hardly read one side that was facing up or to the sun, and the other is just plain worn. DO I just repaint as I did to one of them on one side and leave the other or do nothing and then looks like nothing there for the neon. The other alternative is paint both sides in which I believe is a tough call because why not just get two pieces of new metal. Prices have really dropped for recoated porcelin signs or touched up, where as painted tin is a tough call now. Do not want to reduce the value of these. Any thoughts ?

Attached picture Image006.jpg
Attached picture Image002.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Sun Nov 07 2010 06:26 PM
Craig, tin signs were repainted as needed "during their working lives". They were a proprietor's largest advertising outlet. They were repainted, re-lamped and a source of real pride for the owner.

I have no real knowledge of signs but, I find it hard to believe that a large dealer sign like yours wouldn't increase in price/value if repainted and "re-lamped". But that is just my opinion.

I think if it were mine, I would repaint one side, the worse of the two. That way people could still see the weathered "original" (no telling how many times it had been repainted while in use) side and also the way it would have looked when new.

Nice looking sign(s)!
Posted By: Blackout Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Sun Nov 07 2010 08:24 PM
[The other alternative is paint both sides in which I believe is a tough call because why not just get two pieces of new metal]

Think you just answered your own question there I would buy a sign in that condition before I would a restored one won't go there jm2c.
Posted By: r49th Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Sun Nov 07 2010 10:30 PM
It kind of depends on what you plan to do with it. If you are keeping it and displaying it, you may want both sides re-painted. Especially after you hang it somewhere then wished you had done both sides. Take a bunch of before pictures to show the as found condition.
New metal? Nope. You'd be making a reproduction.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Sun Nov 07 2010 11:23 PM
I think I would paint the worst side.
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Mon Nov 08 2010 01:56 AM
I agree with Phil, repaint the worst side, good side doesn't look bad. tt
Posted By: archer2 Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Mon Nov 08 2010 05:52 AM
I'm with Bob, Phil, and oldgoaly. Repaint the worst side.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign - Mon Nov 08 2010 02:03 PM
Thanks, now I do not feel so bad.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk