Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tbert1 Dating oil bottles - Mon Jun 06 2011 12:55 AM
Hello, I bought a couple of oil bottles at a auction this weekend and was wondering how do you go about dating these bottles and spouts? I also got two oil spouts that are plain. There is no stampings or marks on them. The bottles have markings on them which are MASS 0-11-8 SEAL, PA. SERIAL M-24, 64 MINN, N.C. APPROVED,APPROVED MODEL BW-1228. The spout says The Master MFG. CO. Litchfield Ill. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Attached picture oil bottle 008.JPG
Attached picture oil bottle 009.JPG
Attached picture oil bottle 011.JPG
Attached picture oil bottle 010.JPG
Posted By: thermactor Re: Dating oil bottles - Mon Jun 06 2011 01:00 AM
These are the most common type of generic oil bottles, and the most common brand of spout (Master). They date from the late 20s through probably the 50s when they were eventually replaced by plastic versions the same shape. Their use declined until they were finally phased out entirely by the 70s.

Wes
Posted By: tbert1 Re: Dating oil bottles - Mon Jun 06 2011 01:38 AM
So I take it that the plain ones are really nothing special.
Posted By: thermactor Re: Dating oil bottles - Mon Jun 06 2011 01:42 AM
They're still neat in a display, especially sitting on an oil dispenser or in a rack with others. Not nearly as exciting as the bottles with unusual maker's marks, cities, or gas/oil company logos.

Wes
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Dating oil bottles - Mon Jun 06 2011 02:06 AM
Check ebay completed auctions;
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt...m283&_rdc=1
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Dating oil bottles - Mon Jun 06 2011 02:11 AM
They are very common...but yours look to be in very nice shape. Enjoy your purchase!!
Posted By: Nate_Cz Re: Dating oil bottles - Thu Apr 26 2012 06:14 PM
I know these bottles very well, I have one myself. They are made by
Owen-Illinois glass company. They were made 1958.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk