Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jarvis we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 12:33 PM
Just wanted to share that Art Childers passed away this morning. Art was a long time collector but never was a computer guy. He became a globe collector last year buying over 40 globes. You might have seen him with me at Peotone last year or Columbia this year. Art is from my home town and had plans on coming to Peotone next weekend.

Art was in great shape and worked out everyday... goes to show you sometimes you never know when your time will come.
Posted By: Gascandan Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 12:56 PM
John, thanks for letting us know. I think I remember seeing you both at Peotone last fall. Take care and I will see you soon. Danny
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 02:01 PM
It can be tough when friends pass away. Prayers have been sent for Art's family and friends.
Mike
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 08:17 PM
That's terrible news. Art was a low key guy. He was quietly building a very nice globe collection. I'll miss visiting with him at the shows and auctions.
Condolences to Art's family.
Bob
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 08:25 PM
dont beleive i ever met art,but always hard to lose a friend.prayers and condolences from the dschida's.mick
Posted By: djhubba Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 10:49 PM
Hard to loose friends and loved ones..my thoughts and prayers are with his family

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 10:54 PM
I didn't know the man,but based on everyones comments,I wish I did..
Condolences to family members & friends.
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 11:17 PM
I met Art two or three times and like Bob said he was a very low key guy. My heart goes out to his family.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri
Posted By: Oldgas Re: we lost another gas collector - Wed Feb 21 2007 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear about Art. I'll put his family in my prayers.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: danceswithpumps Re: we lost another gas collector - Thu Feb 22 2007 12:04 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with Art's family and friends.
Rod and Kathy van Pelt

------------------
Posted By: Jarvis Re: we lost another gas collector - Thu Feb 22 2007 02:20 AM
Art started collecting about 15 years or so ago. Art had signs and cans and pumps but not many globes till last year. He bought 3 or 4 of his first globes at Rex's auction last year and that was the bug. He was good friends with Bob and Rick that put on the Hossier Petro show in Evansville and they are probably to blame for him collecting. LOL
Art was a big Oldsmobile guy... had a 1969 442. He loved cars like many of us do.
He was one of those guys that would walk around at a swap meet low key and would always come home with 5 or 6 things.
I tried to get him to come to oldgas and play but he wasn't much on computers. I did point him to ebay which i found him bidding on stuff i was always watching. LOL

In the last year I became good friends with him and talked to him at least 4 or 5 times a week. I had talked to him last night... kidding him about a can he bidded on that I was watching on ebay. He will be greatly missed!
Posted By: K F H Re: we lost another gas collector - Thu Feb 22 2007 05:25 AM
Sorry to hear such terrible news.
Condolences to Art's family and friends.
Kurt
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: we lost another gas collector - Thu Feb 22 2007 12:14 PM
Jarvis, This TOTALLY blows me away!
He is definately the nicest guy I've EVER met! He always called to see what I was bringing to peotone or Frog Follies OR if I'd seen any neat globes...He bought lots of signs and a globe from me last year alone...
2006 Spring Peotone I did show by myself because Wes couldn't go? Well I was soooo nervous NOT KNOWING ANYONE! Guess who patted me on the back, invited me out for pizza with Jarvis and the "guys" Then introduced me to about everyone at the show the next day...I've NEVER felt MORE welcome!
God took a VERY special person!
My prayers go out to his family!!! AND to Jarvis!!! I know you were tight buddy!
Let me know if I can do ANYTHING???

------------------
Posted By: st.rod Re: we lost another gas collector - Thu Feb 22 2007 12:20 PM
Rest in Peace Art. Our thoughts are with his loved ones

Larry
Posted By: big cheese Re: we lost another gas collector - Thu Feb 22 2007 01:41 PM
sorry to here of this news,thoughts and prayers are with his family & friends.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: we lost another gas collector - Thu Feb 22 2007 02:17 PM
Click here to read Arts obituary.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: we lost another gas collector - Fri Feb 23 2007 03:32 AM
Thanks John for the obituary link. Now that I've seen the picture I do remember meeting him when he was with you at a show. My condolences to you.....finding and keeping good friends is not as easy as it sounds.

Richard
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk