Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 60wayne Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jul 27 2012 02:12 AM
Haffner's , Lawrence Ma.

Night time in Lowell Ma. Last week.

Attached picture 017.JPG
Attached picture 020.JPG
Attached picture 022.JPG
Attached picture 024.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jul 27 2012 02:15 AM
Another station in Lowell Ma., the same night.

Attached picture 026.JPG
Attached picture 025.JPG
Attached picture 028.JPG
Attached picture 029.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jul 27 2012 02:21 AM
So far I am up to two Haffner's globes in my collection!

Attached picture 004.JPG
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jul 27 2012 02:33 AM
Cool globes and neat pics!!!
The first time I saw that Haffner in downtown Lowell I thought I was seeing things it's seems like a blast from the past.they seem to be a pretty big gas and oil company .How old is the company.
Posted By: Bullitt1 Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jul 27 2012 10:56 AM
Good for Haffner's for advertising "Old School".More stations should do this,it would make me want to fill up there! What a great price for a gallon!!We get "hosed" in Canada.....and we got all the bleepin oil!!!Dave
Posted By: eshaver Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jul 27 2012 11:37 AM
What a DEAL! What a concept , why didn't I think of this earlier ?

Ed Shaver
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jul 27 2012 01:58 PM
There are 14 stations in the Lawrence Ma. area. Lawrence, Lowell, Methuen, Andover and Haverhill , Tweksbury Ma., And one in Hudson NH. http://www.haffnersoil.com/company_history.htm

Started in 1925.

I have other pictures but do not know how to downsize. Somewhere I have pictures of the Appleton St location in Lowell before they demolished it {not sure but maybe 15 years ago} and put up a new ugly station. It was a very nice classic station with a red terracotta tile roof. There is still one in Lawrence. They did keep the neon sign and installed it on the new station. The pictures above the globe picture are of that sign that they saved.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Fri Jun 12 2015 02:29 PM
Well it's a few years later and I have found two more Haffner's globes to add to my collection. Also noticed the Benzol globe I have, has different lens on either side. So I guess I have five Haffner's globes but three are single lens. Still need an Ethyl globe. Maybe one will show up someday.

Attached picture IMG_1695.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1693.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1700.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1701.JPG
Super cool . good job Henry
Posted By: NH Signs Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Tue Dec 27 2022 06:45 PM
Good Afternoon,

My name is Steve. I am a Project Manager for NH Signs. Haffner ( Energy North) is one of my customers. They saw your photos that you took at night time of there MID's and would like to your permission to use your photos for inside of there stores as a mural. Please if you get this message , please contact me either via email at steve.allen@nhsigns.com or by phone (603) 437-1200 ext 304. I hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Steve Allen
Posted By: coltex Re: Haffner's Gas it Kicks - How about a discussion? - Tue Dec 27 2022 11:06 PM
Great company concept. Love the graphics. Clifton
NH Signs, FYI, the creator of this post, 60wayne, hasn't been on this site since 2017.
I know him Steve. I’ll forward your message to him.
Thanks Ed!
Typically, the use of photos for advertising purposes involve a contract that covers (limits) the scope of how the photos may be used, the period (or length) of time they may be used for, a provision for renewal of the photo use, AND, of course, a fee for the use of the photo(s).

I hope 60wayne keeps this in mind. If someone wants to use his photos for a commercial purpose, they automatically have value. Of course, this is contingent on 60wayne actually being the owner of the photos being discussed. The advertising world has many stories about photographers and photographic models seeing their work used for a period of years and in all sorts of advertising venues, when they were given an impression that the use would be short-term, and simply in a product brochure (for example).

I pass these thoughts along, not as some kind of social do-gooder or "capitalism is bad" kind of person, but rather as a guy who spent most of his working life in the advertising profession. Of course, it's possible that Steve from NH signs was planning to have his client pay for the use of the photos mentioned. I simply wanted to share some of my thoughts, based on personal experience. John
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk