Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Gasguy77 Oilzum Sign, Real or Fake? - Thu Aug 02 2012 05:45 AM
Just came across this sign & can't tell if its real or a fake. Its large & is porcelain, but has no markings. Has anyone seen this version before?

Attached picture Oilzum 2.jpg
Posted By: TheRoyalCrown Re: Oilzum Sign, Real or Fake? - Thu Aug 02 2012 07:11 AM
Check shelving and make sure the back is also porcelain. If that sign is as large as it appears to be I'd say it's real.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Oilzum Sign, Real or Fake? - Thu Aug 02 2012 03:13 PM
Is there any way to give us a larger photos with close ups of "Oswald"?

Because of the lighting, the color of the sign looks off to me... A close up photo would be better, atleast for me...

I have seen the larger Oilzum signs being repopped and the color on them has been a "reddish-orange" instead of the "tried and true" more "pumpkin-orange" that Oilzum used...

Oilzum signs are some of the most (probably the most) repopped Company in the Hobby. We were selling large Oilzum repops in the early 70s to restaurants, Club Houses, Private Party's for homes etc... The Main PX at Bragg had a 6' or larger sign on one of the back walls....
Posted By: Gasguy77 Re: Oilzum Sign, Real or Fake? - Thu Aug 02 2012 03:55 PM
I will try & get a close up in the next day or two. I have a gut feeling this may be one of the repops Bob is talking about.
Thanks
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Oilzum Sign, Real or Fake? - Fri Aug 03 2012 12:44 AM
You would think there would be some white on the sign as there is in most of the Oilzum signs and products also.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk