Texaco thermometer. Origin??

Posted by: Steven C.

Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:20 AM

What is the origin of a piece like this? Was it made/issued by Texaco or is it some 1990's aftermarket piece?
Posted by: J.E.Radebaugh

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:49 AM

It's a fantasy piece....

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:56 AM

Did they make a real ones back in the day?
Posted by: THERMOMAN

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 05:24 AM

When someone refers to an advertising piece as a "fantasy" piece, they are implying that an original never existed. If an item is called a repop it means that it is a copy of an original. Most people clump the 2 together and just say repop. Either way it has very little room in a serious collections.
Posted by: Old Racer

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 06:55 AM

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but where did "Repop" come from? Repop*****? Short for what?
Or was it a typo for "Repro" at some point? Reproduction?
Just wondering. I have used both.
Posted by: GasCan

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:06 AM

Repop is a reproduction of repro. Much like fantasy is a figment of one's imagination. lol
Posted by: KZ1000

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:20 AM

repop = repopped out of mold/etc. IMO
Posted by: Here's Your Sign

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:32 AM

Did Texaco even make a real therm? If so does anyone have pics? All I ever seen is the fantasy pieces.
Posted by: Here's Your Sign

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:39 AM

Oh and for my two cents I always thought repop was short for repopulated. As in repopulating the hobby with garbage.

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:40 AM

Oh yeah...Dealers, Consignees, Agents and Distributors commonly used the little banjo thermometers (plastic and metal).

I'm at the office and can't take pictures of the Texaco thermometers I have. Just watch out for the reproduction plastic banjo thermometers (the "T" looks funny on them).

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:45 AM

Here are a few auction numbers of original thermometers.

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:23 AM

Wow!! It sounds like some of you don't like this little piece smile I understand. I don't love it either, but with all due respect to the old Texaco thermometers that where posted here. They are not very attractive to me. Maybe the mountian pic one. And in this case, I get a much bigger smile from the fantasy piece. Although I hate the FAT "T". It is wrong!! When it comes to thermometers, it seems Texaco falls a little short.

IMHO, it should be "Repro" for "Reproduction". But, "Repop" just rolls of the tongue easier and seems easier regardless of it's origins. Wow! Now we're debating not only reproduction gas stuff, but reproduction words! : )

Also, would not this "fantasy" piece have to be manufactured with copyright permissions from Texaco? And if so, would that not somehow make it a legal piece of Texaco advertisement? Just laying that out there for discussion.
Posted by: TheRoyalCrown

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:27 AM

At the bottom I see in small print the word permission, so yeah it's legal. That was never the point though. Someone decided one day to make a Texaco thermometer they would enjoy themselves, or maybe a limited production. Thats what makes this a fantasy item, because it never existed in the first place.

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:34 AM

I didn't mean legal as in legally legal. I meant legal as in hobby legal.
Who cares what big government thinks. I'm talking about what us Americans think. (oh c'mon!! it's an election year : ) )
Posted by: carolinaskies

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:58 AM

Fantasy items are those which were never produced in the time period the piece is supposed to represent having been made.

A "licensed" product is one that the original owner of the license of the product, brand, image, character has been paid for/given permission for the usage/reproduction of said product, brand, image, character by a third party.

The license can be pulled at any time if the original owner feels damage is or may occur to their reputation or that of their product, brand, image or character.

And yes an item can be a licensed fantasy!

The only time that I am aware signage would have a license number is if it were involved in some usage requiring a state/federal licensing process and would state as such on the signage.
Posted by: blacktee

Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? - Sat Aug 11 2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: J.E.Radebaugh
Oh yeah...Dealers, Consignees, Agents and Distributors commonly used the little banjo thermometers (plastic and metal).

I'm at the office and can't take pictures of the Texaco thermometers I have. Just watch out for the reproduction plastic banjo thermometers (the "T" looks funny on them).

It's the 5 & 7 o'clock points of the star that are all out of wack....