Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: SKomatinsky Did anyone make repop Shell embossed oil bottles? - Tue Jan 08 2013 09:55 AM
I am considering buying a rack of Shell Penn embossed tall oil bottles in a carrier, but I do not know if any might be repops. They look to be in excellent condition.

Were there any reproductions made of these?

Attached picture 013.jpg
Posted By: hawkike Re: Did anyone make repop Shell embossed oil bottles? - Tue Jan 08 2013 11:41 PM
Never saw one if they did.
Was at an antique mall one time and seen one that the guy claimed was a reproduction but i am not sure and he wanted 25 bucks for it. I don't collect much glass so i passed.
So it is possible that there are repops. Someone is bound to know on here but it isn't me. Good luck
Posted By: JimT Re: Did anyone make repop Shell embossed oil bottles? - Wed Jan 09 2013 10:43 AM
I dont think theres anything wrong with that bottle.
I know for a fact they did reproduce the tiolene bottles. I am not sure about the shell's.
Posted By: JimT Re: Did anyone make repop Shell embossed oil bottles? - Wed Jan 09 2013 11:32 AM
The Tiolene repops are fairly obvious.
Posted By: junior25 Re: Did anyone make repop Shell embossed oil bottles? - Wed Jan 09 2013 12:01 PM
I have been told that repop Canadian versions have no date embossed on the bottom.Every one I've ever seen is dated 1933.Do the Shell-Penn have an embossed date as well?
Posted By: keithia Re: Did anyone make repop Shell embossed oil bottles? - Wed Jan 09 2013 11:55 PM
No dates on the Shells that I have seen.
Most of mine have 1933 on the bottom i have 2 cases and they look like that . there
Posted By: Iceman Re: Did anyone make repop Shell embossed oil bottles? - Fri Jan 11 2013 04:17 AM
I am not a bottle expert, but If there are no obvious wear marks on the bottles (especially the bottoms), I would be cautious.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk