Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: TerryL Got a Real Project ahead of me - Fri Feb 15 2013 02:59 PM
Picked up my Rapid Dayton 600 yesterday from the resto shop. It has been there for 7 years. It is dismantled, some of it is painted, some not. I just hope I got everything. What is painted is the wrong shade of blue so, will need painted again. Not sure where to start or how I will know when I am done. lol
Posted By: keithia Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Fri Feb 15 2013 03:25 PM
WOW. I hope they did not charge you anything. I am assuming they did not what to do the job.

Keith
Posted By: TerryL Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Fri Feb 15 2013 03:31 PM
No charge, The fellow passed away that was doing it.
Does anyone know if there are new glass cylinders available for this pump? Mine is cracked pretty bad. I am also wondering if I can get maybe brass rods that go around the cylinder
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Fri Feb 15 2013 03:32 PM
What gave ya that idea Keith?

Tis trouble when you say your not in a hurry to have it done.
Posted By: TerryL Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Fri Feb 15 2013 08:48 PM
I am just finishing up a Wayne 70 that I took the doors and panels to the paint shop over a year ago and just got them back a few weeks ago. It's a shame no one wants to work.
Posted By: sslick68 Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Sun Feb 17 2013 08:48 PM
Hey Terry give me a call next time you want some bodywork/paintwork done. I have many references and pictures for you to check out. I do mostly auto restorations but loves the gas pumps too, and it wont sit in my shop forever! Very reasonable rates!
Steve 573 201 8444
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Sun Feb 17 2013 09:02 PM
You know that is the truth to people who have body shops and say that they can do gas pumps. It will sit there and it seems like there is no incentive for the job to get done. I am going through this again. I see all the great work some of the pump restorers do and wonder why so many body guys just let the stuff lay. They can be making more money or should not have said that they could do it period.
Nothing is cheap here yet so many cry about not enough work, check out the immigrants that have come here. Many Many have done great because of the work ethic and drive to have something. Here it seems most wine and say how bad or hard it is to work.
Posted By: TerryL Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Mon Feb 18 2013 06:24 PM
It has been very discouraging for me. I have to try and figure out what to do with the Rapid Dayton. I did not take it apart and really not sure I got everything that should be with it.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Mon Feb 18 2013 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
You know that is the truth to people who have body shops and say that they can do gas pumps. It will sit there and it seems like there is no incentive for the job to get done. I am going through this again. I see all the great work some of the pump restorers do and wonder why so many body guys just let the stuff lay. They can be making more money or should not have said that they could do it period.
Nothing is cheap here yet so many cry about not enough work, check out the immigrants that have come here. Many Many have done great because of the work ethic and drive to have something. Here it seems most wine and say how bad or hard it is to work.

I have found that restoring gas pumps is how to NOT make money. I dont even take them in anymore.
Posted By: TerryL Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Mon Feb 18 2013 08:26 PM
I do most of the dis assembly myself and the re assembly I am NOT a body man or a painter. This particular pump I took the whole thing to a restorer because I wanted it professionally done.
My Wayne 70, I took the doors and panels to be painted after I had them blasted and primed. The guy said he would have them done in 2 to 3 weeks. Ended up it was over a year later before I got them back. He also told me $400 to $600 to paint and buff out, Got the bill for $982.00. It is going to take me a year to pay him.lol
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Mon Feb 18 2013 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TerryL

The guy said he would have them done in 2 to 3 weeks. Ended up it was over a year later before I got them back. He also told me $400 to $600 to paint and buff out, Got the bill for $982.00. It is going to take me a year to pay him.lol

Ouch, I would not be happy.....
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Mon Feb 18 2013 09:50 PM
Similar thing happened to me. Body shop guy had it forever, returned it with missing parts,a bad paint job and charged me twice as much as he quoted. I could have done a better job blind drunk with a rattle can, which is usually how I prefer to work, so should have done it myself.
Posted By: Daveb Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Mon Feb 18 2013 10:53 PM
It has been very discouraging for me. I have to try and figure out what to do with the Rapid Dayton. I did not take it apart and really not sure I got everything that should be with it.

If you need some pictures of one, let me know. I can post them here in this thread or maybe this thread can answer your questions-http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229577&page=1
Posted By: TerryL Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Tue Feb 19 2013 01:28 PM
Thanks Dave, I am sure I will be calling on you. I need a cylinder, mine is cracked, I am also wondering about brass rods that hold the cylinder in place.
Posted By: Daveb Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Tue Feb 19 2013 02:02 PM
Thanks Dave, I am sure I will be calling on you. I need a cylinder, mine is cracked, I am also wondering about brass rods that hold the cylinder in place.

The cylinders are the same as the Fry Mae Wests, so they're going to be tough to come by. The rods are 3 different lengths and I would just order 5/16" round brass stock in 12' lengths and cut them down to size and thread the ones that need to be threaded.(Some of the rods on this pump aren't threaded, they just support the top piece from being pulled down too far by the rods that are threaded).
Posted By: TerryL Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Tue Feb 19 2013 04:40 PM
Do you have a pic of yours Dave?
Posted By: Daveb Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Tue Feb 19 2013 05:00 PM
Do you have a pic of yours Dave?

A pic of what? If you follow that link I posted earlier, you will find pictures of my pumps in progress. Let me know, Dave
Posted By: fins n vtwins Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Tue Feb 19 2013 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun

I have found that restoring gas pumps is how to NOT make money. I dont even take them in anymore.

I second that, and I'm on the verge of quitting old cars as well. Just as bad as shops that offer to do it, and don't, are people who think their project is the most important thing in the shop. Wrong. The most important thing to the shop owner is keeping the doors open. As a shop owner, I'm not going to step over a dollar to pick up a dime. I should be paid a doctor's wages sometimes because some folks think I'm on call 24/7. Don't like shops? Learn to do it yourself.
/rant off/
Posted By: TerryL Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Wed Feb 20 2013 03:08 PM
Well, If you are one of those shop owners that promise people "I will have this done in 2 weeks" and then do absolutely nothing for months or years you deserve all the hell you get.
If a shop owner is going to take a month or a year to do something why not be honest and say that in the beginning?
/rant off/
Posted By: fins n vtwins Re: Got a Real Project ahead of me - Wed Feb 20 2013 11:23 PM
I'm not one of those shops, thanks. wink
Sorry, folks, for my rant yesterday...well, not really...but I could have held it to myself. My industry suffers for the actions of a few. Kinda like lawyers and policemen--mostly hated, unless they can do something for you.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk