Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: rkmiller Visible gas pump nozzles - Fri Feb 15 2013 04:54 PM
I have a Gilbert and Barker type 67 model 7 visible gas pump made around 1924 - 1926.

When did pumps go from the "banana nozzle" to the more traditional type?

Would anyone know what kind of nozzle or brand would have been on this pump originally?

Did manufacturers all have their own nozzles or was it up to the purchaser to order a nozzle from another company?

Thanks for any advice.

Ryan
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Fri Feb 15 2013 05:09 PM
http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20nozzles.htm

...you can thank Jack Sim for this - he authored a couple of Gas Pump & Air Meter guides, that are well-worth the asking price...
Posted By: rkmiller Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Fri Feb 15 2013 07:03 PM
Thanks for the link. I emailed Mr. Sims as that page does not have my model pump or go back as far as 1924 for G and B.

Thanks for the help!
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Sat Feb 16 2013 12:27 AM
Wet hose pumps used a nozzle that could be opened or closed by the attendant.
Dry hoe pumps used a banana nozzle.

The 67 is a dry hose pump.

Jack Sim
Posted By: rkmiller Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Sat Feb 16 2013 03:02 PM
Thanks Jack!
Posted By: denismc Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Sat Jan 16 2021 07:36 PM
Good day, I am still a little confused about the wet/dry nozzle thing. In Jack's pump book, a picture on page 129 shows a Boyle 62 with a valve and a "wet" type nozzle. It seems it has both systems. ? Denis McIntosh
Posted By: keithia Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Sat Jan 16 2021 09:38 PM
A wet hose always has gas in it and would have a nozzle that could stop the fuel flow at the nozzle like todays nozzles. A dry hose would have no gas in it went done fueling a vehicle and the fuel would be shut off with a valve on the pump. It would have a banana nozzle with no way to shut the gas off with the nozzle. Hope that helps.
Posted By: denismc Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Sun Jan 17 2021 06:37 PM
Still a bit unclear why a 62 pump shown in jack’s book , shows both a valve and a wet style nozzle. Maybe I don’t understand the function of these 2 parts on this pump. Denis
Posted By: T-way Re: Visible gas pump nozzles - Sun Jan 17 2021 10:20 PM
Those are illustrations - not photos of actual pumps.

You can't take them at face value as most were created long before an actual pump was produced.

The information that has been presented here previously is correct - the illustration in Jack's book is not.

Later . . .

Jim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk