Oldgas.com Home
I know they are big and the one I found will need restored and a couple panels on the front will need to be reformed but other than that its all there, inside is rust free and I have a set of original ATLAS TIRES decals for one. Just wondering if anyone has ever restored one on here and if they have any before and after pics? Sorry no pictures of the one here but they were common i believe so most should know what I am attempting to describe. They have they huge sliding tin doors with the support beams that extended past the cabinet itself. They cabinet itself must measure 10 to 15 feet wide and it must be 10+feet high and im thinking it would hold near 50 tires. Any shared stories,pics or restoration tips would be appreciated,thanks for looking,Marc (Imagine the oil cans a guy could fit in one of these wink
Posted By: rogerg Re: Are The Old Huge Atlas Tire Cabinets Worth Saving? - Fri Jun 07 2013 12:41 AM
I just wish I had one to store some tires in, forget restoring it. Although, I'm sure that would be cool!
It would take the right person to be able to use one! I know what you're talking about though and they would make a nice storage area attached to the side of a building. Make a nice place to store the firewood!
Posted By: rogerg Re: Are The Old Huge Atlas Tire Cabinets Worth Saving? - Fri Jun 07 2013 01:12 AM
I need one for my old bias ply tires!
Even funnier thing! Called the old man and he installed it with my grandfather!!! He also said he and grandps installed over a dozen throughout eastern S.D. so I guess i will have a new storage shed behind the garage. Tomorrow I will go lube all the bolts and screws and come back this weekend and dismantle the old girl. Plan was lately to save at least the top sign but that is out the window now I guess smile. I google mapped Lazer's in Huron here and went to street view and it is sitting on the north side of the building in its current glory! Feel free to check it out but then again its a tire rack smile. I will document the process of course to confirm my insanity. Somebody has to save one of these!!
If anyone knows of one around Spokne Wa. I would like to find one for the side of my station.
I looked up each word so I think I got them wright.
Thanks
Rick
I hauled a couple home years ago, just pulled my trailer up next to it and laid it over on its back, headed for it.
I have better pictures of this I can email if anyone wants to see what this thing looks like up close. Feel free to post here on Oldgas if you wish as I am unable to. I have found all the decals that go to one of these also which made my day! Have A Great Week Everyone!
Can anyone see this ole girl? This is what I was talking about earlier on this thread. I would love to see one in its former glory in a picture if anyone has one,thanks for looking.

Attached picture atlaspic1.jpg
That's cool. I want one!
How long before these are repopped smile?
Here is what a couple of Atlas tire cabinets looked like in Canada back in the late 1950s. I like the idea of advertising on the the doors. If you got the room it could make a great display unit if you didn't want to use it to store all your spare tires. Cheers, Don,

Attached picture atlasa.jpg
Attached picture atlasb.jpg
Those things get their own zipcode.
...I'd like to have a nice Gulf Tire Store cabinet...
Hey cool, thanks Don, mine is jsut like the Atlas in your pic except I think mine has one more section of rack inside, hence big boy cabinet,thats what the old man called em anyway .They are very cool original but yes, they may require their own zip, ha smile.
I can't see many of those having survived. Great pictures Don! I wouldn't mind finding one, closer to home.
Posted By: Elmer's Re: Are The Old Huge Atlas Tire Cabinets Worth Saving? - Tue Jun 25 2013 04:26 AM
I was the lucky guy to end up with the Atlas Tire cabinet along with a full set of NOS decals. It was definitely a trailer full. Here is a pic of the loading crew in the hot humid weather that preceded some bad storms in South Dakota last Friday. I got out of Huron just ahead of the tornadoes. When I finally turned north near Arlington, some serious straight line winds hit me. I looked back in the mirror and my trailer was up on 2 wheels. Had to pull over in a sheltered area for an hour or so. Good thing we had it well strapped! Marc, Big Max, and Mitch did a great job loading it up and Marc had absolutely every detail planned out. You could not meet better guys in this hobby.....I could sit and listen to Big Max tell stories all day.

Description: Mitch, Big Max, Marc
Attached picture Mitch,-Big-Max,-Marc,.jpg
Hey Thanks for the kind words David! Always a pleasure dealing with you and am also very happy you made it home. You left town just in time as you found out when you went north. That was the worst storm we had in 10 years around here. The Atlas cabinet could not be in better hands. Take care and keep us posted on the station project!The Hansens
I'm sure the bar owners are happy as the customers can see the sign now smile.Cheapest game of pool in town....after you remove the mixed drink straws and cigarette butts from the felt smile.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk