Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jamison Seaside Gasoline - Mon Jan 21 2008 09:45 PM
I enjoyed looking at the collection that Ron featured in PCM this month and wanted to ask about a particular sign. I love the Seaside Gasoline triangle sign and wanted to see how much I could expect to pay for one of those in a condition of 8 to 10? Thanks-
Matt
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Seaside Gasoline - Mon Jan 21 2008 11:46 PM

Is it like the sign on the roof of this station? Have also seen a curbside version...

The curb sign is on the right side of the truck toward the back of the station.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Seaside Gasoline - Tue Jan 22 2008 12:27 AM
Curt,
What company sign do you suppose WAS in the Shepard pole [in 2nd pic]?
Posted By: Jamison Re: Seaside Gasoline - Tue Jan 22 2008 12:36 AM
What would be the price for either one? Great pics.
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Seaside Gasoline - Tue Jan 22 2008 04:19 AM
I was wondering about that too. Could it have been the Mohawk? Don't know how early they started using the Indian head?

I'm not the one to ask about sign prices. Maybe Ray Sider can help on that one. If you can find them they aren't inexpensive. Both of these examples show the "Silver Gull" version which is probably even rarer.
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Seaside Gasoline - Tue Jan 22 2008 05:38 PM
Thank you for the complment. SEASIDE..my favorite. You can expect to pay, for the small curb size, between $3500 and $5,000. I know where a pretty nice one is for $4200. The larger ones, becasue of their size, go from $2500 to $6,000
Ray
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Seaside Gasoline - Tue Jan 22 2008 06:43 PM
Just for clarification for Jamison and whoever else might be lurking in this post, Ray lives in Carpinteria where Seaside Oil Company was based in the hey day of Santa Barbara County Oil Production. Those of us near the coastline have an affinity for Seaside because it was our local brand. I live on the other side of the hill from Ray, also in Santa Barbara County closer to what was formerly Union Oil company territory.

There were a number of Seaside stations dotting the coast highway in this area including a bulk oil plant in the town of Buellton just a couple of miles from me in Solvang.

I collect Seaside Oil Company photos primarily because of the sign prices that Ray quoted above!

Here's another photo of the Solvang Garage, also a Seaside dealer.

I've seen a lot of hand painted and cardboard Seaside signs, most of which did not hold up well over time. Because they were a smaller company I suspect this was a cost saving measure, especially for stations in small towns that sold multiple brands of gasoline.
Posted By: Jack R Re: Seaside Gasoline - Tue Jan 22 2008 08:35 PM
Great photos Curt. Jack
Posted By: Jamison Re: Seaside Gasoline - Wed Jan 23 2008 01:44 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys, I really appreciate it. Ray, I sent you an email.
Posted By: huskybob Re: Seaside Gasoline - Wed Jan 23 2008 05:39 AM
Jamison........ You might want to check out Dwaine Bucks Seaside collection.
www.caltel.com/~jlgas
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Seaside Gasoline - Tue Jan 29 2008 02:31 PM
I posted some Seaside items on Ebay last night under hotcidr. More to follow next month
Ray

Looking for Seaside globe lenses
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk