Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: GREG'S GAS how to install 17 ft conoco pole sign - Fri Jun 02 2006 10:13 PM
hey guys i just got a nice conoco pole sign in the fram as you know its very heavy, was just wondering if there are any engineers out there that know how deep & wide the hole should be. i bought grade 8 bolts & nuts they are rated at 150,000 psi i plan to add lots of re bar, thanks greg
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: how to install 17 ft conoco pole sign - Fri Jun 02 2006 11:09 PM
I have a standard pole standing in my front yard that I put up. My neighbor is a concrete engineer for bridge work and he came over to assist me. He said that a one mile wind at the top of the sign will put 10,000 psi on the base. My base is 36 x 36 six feet deep. The rebar is all tied together and hooks into the J bolts. It took about three yards of concrete!! Better safe than sorry, if it falls, not only will it hurt the sign, it will hurt or kill what it lands on.

Ryan
Posted By: Thunder II Re: how to install 17 ft conoco pole sign - Sat Jun 03 2006 02:35 AM
Greg, this came up recently, and I couldn't find the thread. This is definitly (sp)one time when more is better. It gets a little windy here, I dont know what its like up there. But dig deep, lots of rebar, long j-bolts. It will cost a lot more if a low budget job gets blown over...
Posted By: TOMD Re: how to install 17 ft conoco pole sign - Sat Jun 03 2006 08:13 PM
I JUST GOT MY POLE UP ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO.A PURE SIGN.I HAVE WANTED TO DO IT FOR YEARS AND FINALLY IS DONE.I DID NOT DO A LOT OF FIGUREING I WENT 6FT X 7 FT X 3 FT DP.WITH 2 FT HARD 1-8 BOLTS I ADDED 2 SO THERE IS 6.AFTER IT WAS UP WE HAD A LOT OF WINDS TO TEST IT.DID NOT BUDGE AT ALL.I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP.IF IT WAS TO MUCH OR TO LITTLE.GOOD LUCK
TOMD
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: how to install 17 ft conoco pole sign - Sun Jun 04 2006 04:10 PM
Greg: Glad you got one.. I am also going to be putting my Conoco sign up by my shop.. Building a gas island too. If you get yours up soon please let me know how big a hole you do.. I have a bob cat with a auger that can drill 8" deep and only 21" wide?? Not sure that will be good or not.. we have had some 80 mile hour winds in the past.
Good luck and let me know ..
Ric
Posted By: TerryL Re: how to install 17 ft conoco pole sign - Mon Jun 05 2006 12:30 AM
I put my Pure pole sign up and the base is 3ft. x 3 ft and 5 ft. deep. Took about 3 yards of concrete. We have had a couple strong winds here and it don't even wiggle.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk