Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tom 2 tone queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 01:23 AM
i have a question. which pump is the #1 pump? NOT THE MOST $$$VALUABLE. NOT THE RAREST. but which one is everyones favorite? - i bought my first pump in 1988. i had never heard of gilbarco/wayne/bennett/etc.... but i ended up with 1 then 2 then 3-4-etc... 6 foot elect. pumps. and i only wanted 1 to restore for my driveway. i couldnt get interested in any i had gotten i never saw any books or nothin then. i planned on paintin one with house of color candy paint & puttin major time in it. but these i had didnt do it for me. BUT then i saw a pump near my house one day. so i pulled in & said thats the one i want!!! i ran over to see the tag on it. AND... it said WAYNE cut60! the dude gave it to me FREE! so i went around & gave all my 6 away. FREE!!! & dont regret it a bit. ive got lots of 60s now! thats my favorite BY FAR!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 01:50 AM
MY favorites are the Wayne 60, Tokheim 850 & 36B, Bowser 300 & 310. Would like to have a Wayne 800.
Posted By: tom 2 tone Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 02:01 AM
ya thats one i dont have either. wayne 800. theyre really nice! ...maybe someday!?!?!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 02:09 AM
My vote splits 4 ways, Wayne 800, Wayne 576, National Duplex & SSE 160 Ecometer (Below). I'm still looking for the last two if anyone has one for sale or even better, a trade?

[This message has been edited by pogogas (edited 01-23-2003).]
Posted By: 41150 Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 03:59 AM
I think all the ones mentioned so far are great but I'd add a National A-38 especially with some signal add glass.
Posted By: gaspower Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 04:49 AM
I'll have to cast my vote for a Wayne 70. It's certainly not rare or fancy, but it just seems to stir the memory banks in me. I'm lucky enough to remember using them along the back roads of California, Oregon, and Nevada in the 60's and 70's and just thinking how cool it was watching that spinner go around as we had gas pumped into our car. I guess that's why I like the common stuff in general.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 10:54 AM
My favorites are the tokheim 850--950 ,I have 4, 2 round and 2 square base. I'd also like to have a Wayne 800 , that Eco looks good too. I have other pumps like a-38's wayne 70-80's etc etc. Once you're hooked you can't have enough. Am I the only one afflicted with this illness ?
Posted By: T-way Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 02:39 PM
Hi everyone!

Myself, I'm partial to the M&S 80's. You can make a complete collection out of them and not have two the same style. You've got short bases and tall bases with cast bases and stamped bases. Then you get into the tops - smooth; tall and short, with and without sight glass, Ad Glass tops, Script tops (in different versions/brands), different face designs, etc.

And the kewl access door with the 'push-button' release in the side allowing the way-kwel hinges to swing the doors out of the way for service - now that's really neat design work.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of other pump styles and versions, but the M&S 80's offer so many different looks that you can cover an entire wall with 'em and the non-collector won't even realize that they're all the same pump in different variations and brands.

Jim

P.S. I also love the Wayne 60's and the 800. I'd do almost anything to get at least one of each (except fork out the cash, that is!).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 02:41 PM
In my opinion, not just voicing what I like but what I've seen in pricing and talking with fellow collectors my top three guesses would be: 1) Wayne 60 2) National A38 3) M/S 80 with the taller top. Just my opion boys.
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 03:38 PM
Well, I couldn't pass up the chance to put in my two cents worth here. My favorite two pumps are the WAYNE CUT#60, and the WAYNE CUT#60. I just can't pass one up. They are soooo stylish! I have several of the other pumps mentioned in this post, but the #60 has my heart! The only thing better than a #60 , is a clock face #60.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 03:44 PM
I'VE GOT JUST TWO WORDS FOR YOU: MAE WEST!!
Posted By: Ryan Fortner Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 04:17 PM
Just my 2 cents but I love the fry17 bennett371 (i cant collect enough of these) and tok 36b. Plain pumps I know and nothing to get all excited about but I love the look and no matter how many I get and restore I think each one has its own personality.
Posted By: LarryIvy Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 05:22 PM
Love national a-1/b-1 pumps
Looking to own a Tokheim 34
Pogo's 730 Wayne is up there battling for second place.

Okay a moment of clarity and honesty pump guys. Most of us would love to own or have owned nearly all of them. 1 is never enough.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Jan 24 2003 07:43 PM
For those of you who like the M&S/Wayne 80 be sure to see my article in the next issue of "Check the Oil!." It is all about the 80 showing a couple of version that did not make the gas pump book.
Jack Sim
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: queation... which pump??? - Sat Jan 25 2003 12:21 AM
Myself , Its the Nationals, the A38's Simplex, Duplex,Apex, The simplex and Duplex have that Victorin charm, the A-38 was one of the first pumps I remember as a Kid, But your right ya can't have just one, you can try but!!!!!!!
Posted By: TN Volunteer Re: queation... which pump??? - Sat Jan 25 2003 07:49 AM
Hey Everybody,

I would have to say my favorite five pumps are, double Bowser Visible (not sure of model number - mine is missing), Wayne 60S, Butler 71 visible, Wayne 491 and Butler 133 Clock face. I have 3 of the 5 and working to get the fourth and 5th ones. I also want a Wayne 626 would trade my 53 Pontiac Chieftan 2-door hardtop for one of these.

TN Volunteer
Posted By: danceswithpumps Re: queation... which pump??? - Sat Jan 25 2003 05:22 PM
I would have to say:
(1) The Tokheim 850. I took this pump for granted using it on the family farm as a kid in the 50's up until 1984 when we replaced it with a newer-used Tokheim purchased from the local Co-op. My Dad purchased the used 850 from the Co-op in 1948 for $50 complete with a TEXACO globe. During its lifetime it pumped over a half million gallons and is now restored. I still call it "Dad's pump" and still remember the look on his face when he saw it for the first time restored.
(2) The Wayne 60. I have restored one and have another waiting and would like several more. This is my other favorite because of their unique design gives you many different painting options, ease of finding repo parts and ease of dis-assembly.
I might add that any pump that has any sentimental value, was a gift, or one that didn't come easy to you will be one of your favorites. What a GREAT hobby and a GREAT website.
Thanks,
Rod van Pelt

------------------
Posted By: A P Ogle Re: queation... which pump??? - Mon Jan 27 2003 12:45 AM
Got to be the Wayne 60 for me... the Art Deco look is classic.
Posted By: STLMach1 Re: queation... which pump??? - Tue Apr 08 2003 07:43 PM
Have to cast my vote for the Bennett 966. I love its lines. It's got a great blend of retro 50's era appeal but also a clean and simple look as well.

Take care,

------------------
Michael Botkin
Bennett 966
Bowser 595
71 Mach 1 Mustang
Posted By: minuteman Re: queation... which pump??? - Tue Apr 08 2003 08:09 PM
NOTHING beats an Erie 50 cash recorder with original globe holder boys!!!!!!!
Posted By: djhubba Re: queation... which pump??? - Tue Apr 08 2003 09:48 PM
Favorite? Its like picking a Favorite Son or Daughter. I love them all in their own way. I know I am a dork ..but everytime I get a new pump, I clean them up , dress them right and give them a Loving Home. I must say I love and respect my art deco clockface elders a great deal. oop - gotta run - I hear my lil baby Bowser cryin in the Garage - I know she just wants attention but I cant help it - I am a big softy. Hold on I'm coming lil baby Bowser.
Hubba
Posted By: cans and stuff Re: queation... which pump??? - Tue Apr 08 2003 10:54 PM
I'm like Minuteman, Nothing beats the Erie 50. A close second though is the Bowser 300's f and r. And the third would be a Wayne 805 twin pump.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: queation... which pump??? - Thu Apr 10 2003 05:25 AM
Wayne Roman,and 60. Also love clean desert preserved Bennet 371s. I have two and they look great unrestored!!!
Posted By: big cheese Re: queation... which pump??? - Thu Apr 10 2003 01:39 PM
tokheim adc show case & the tokheim 36b twin display case also penometers, cheese
Posted By: 57Chev Re: queation... which pump??? - Thu Apr 10 2003 02:43 PM
OK, can someone post a picture of a Wayne 60 for us uneducated who don't know what it looks like? Thanks.
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: queation... which pump??? - Thu Apr 10 2003 04:12 PM
Hello 57** Take a look at Stories and Showcase: Pump of the month for March was Wayne 60 Great Pumps
Ric
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: queation... which pump??? - Thu Apr 10 2003 11:28 PM
Hello, Wayne 60, Mae West, Mobilgas
Script Top. In that order. I
hesitate to include the Tokheim
850 because I have a lot of pent
up anger regarding that pump. I
have attempted to buy three
different ones, failing each time.
Posted By: Vman Re: queation... which pump??? - Fri Apr 11 2003 12:19 PM
My wife perfers the visibles.The clean style of the Bennett 766 is what attracted me to the hobby.The art deco of the Wayne 60 has put that pump on my most wanted list! V-MAN

------------------
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk